Sports and fitness 2021

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's funny how something one person thinks is a warmup is inconceivable to someone else.
I suppose it just shows what's achievable if you look after yourself and put the training in. Though age also has a massive bearing too. It wouldn't matter if i was the fittest 53 year old bloke alive. No training, fitness, or health regime will ever put me on a par with the young pro cyclists who I watch regularly on tele simply because of my age. It's something I think of from time to time. When I was in my twenties, with the right guidance, would I have cut it has a top cyclist. I'll never know now.

Reactions: robmcd

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I've been running ultramarathon distances for the last 7 years or so. Your body just sort of gets used to it. My longest training runs are never more than 50K. Before a 100 mile race I like to warm up with a 50 mile race 6-8 weeks prior. On weekends I do a 20 mile run Saturday and a 10-15 mile run the next day. During the week my shortest runs are 6 miles. I always take at least 1 day off each week. At my peak training weeks I never exceed 80 miles.
I’d literally die before I hit 100 miles if forced to not stop running.

Also, 190

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I am a competitive swimmer. I am training to go to the Canada Games by next year and after that well the Olympics (well para Olympics but still counts as the official Canadian team)
That's fantastic. I wish you all the luck in the world, be sure to post pics of your shiny gold medals on your victorious return. :clap

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
esoxlucius esoxlucius Thanks lol. I have a disease called Charcot Marie Tooth disease ( Nothing to do with my teeth lol) It just really affects balance and controlling my limbs and stuff so I will never be able to run and I wear leg braces and my legs have a tendancy to give out.. Like a lot. Swimming is a good sport since it takes the pressure off of and I dont need to worry about falling over lol. Heres an article if anyone wants to understand it better https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...ie-tooth-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20350517

Last edited:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
esoxlucius esoxlucius Thanks lol. I have a disease called Charcot Marie Tooth disease ( Nothing to do with my teeth lol) It just really affects balance and controlling my limbs and stuff so I will never be able to run and I wear leg braces and my legs have a tendancy to give out.. Like a lot. Swimming is a good sport since it takes the pressure off of and I dont need to worry about falling over lol. Heres an article if anyone wants to understand it better https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...ie-tooth-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20350517
The condition you have sure doesn't sound like much fun. I can understand why swimming would be a good pastime to take up and it sounds like you've become pretty good at it to getting called up for the national team and all. Again, I wish you well :thumbsup:

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
esoxlucius esoxlucius Im not quite there yet but in a year or two we are hoping my times will be fast enough. im on the right track but not quite there and even if I make the times at a meet I still have to make them again at the canada games its a long procces. Since im a para athlete I have a way better chance of going to the olympics since there is not many of us compared to able bodied swimmers. Thanks again for your kind words

Last edited:
Reactions: esoxlucius

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Just ran a “race,”(not full effort) for 5 miles at sub 6 minute per mile pace, hoping to get my pace faster for future 5k’s, since it’ll be easier with less miles and a faster pace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store