Spotted Gars all of sudden stopped eating ...its been 4 weeks!!

FishBeginner

Feeder Fish
May 2, 2019
Hi,

I am new to the forum so bare with me if I am asking dumb questions.

I have two spotted gars (both 30cm) in a 180 gallon tank, water parameters are fine and both have been eating well. I have had them for nearly a year and they never had problem eating. About 4 weeks ago, suddenly they stopped eating. I use to give them pellets and prawns, now they won't take anything. One is totally disinterested. The other one, tries to take a bit at a prawn but has difficulty swallowing it and spits it back out.

They are otherwise active and swimming well. They look healthy, just won't eat. But I do notice they still look like their stomach is full!!

I don't know what to do, and worried they are going to starve themselves to death.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gars can go on some breaks for eating. Would watch and keep the water clean. Wait it out. Can retry with some garlic mixed in perhaps.

Reactions: TheReefer

FishBeginner

Feeder Fish
May 2, 2019
Thanks for the replies.

For about 4 months, they were fed on cooked prawns, is it better to give them cooked prawns or raw ones?

They look good externally, but I do worry that its something internal because I can see that they are trying to eat just have difficulty swallowing the food. Or they would take a bite at the pellets but releases them straight away.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d try cut up tilapia or a pellet. Soak the shrimp in a vitamin solution like Boyd’s vitachem.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for the replies.

For about 4 months, they were fed on cooked prawns, is it better to give them cooked prawns or raw ones?

They look good externally, but I do worry that its something internal because I can see that they are trying to eat just have difficulty swallowing the food. Or they would take a bite at the pellets but releases them straight away.
I feed raw ones 2 days once

Reactions: TheReefer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store