Spray Paint and Acrylic

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Originally posted this in the General section but it has been ignored and is probably more appropriate for this forum. Has anyone used spray paint on an acrylic tank? Is it safe? I found some old threads where there comments about chemicals in spray paint that can ruin acrylic. However when I was searching for spray paints some of them are listed as being safe for acrylic.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I’ve used Kyrlon for all my tank spraying glass and acrylic

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Krylon Fusion. Need to do light sanding first.
What is considered light sanding? :) I am assuming when you sand acrylic is just makes is a bit rough but there should be no impact to the presentation of the color that is used?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Can I use other products? I want to do something like in the link below. My concern is whether the rustoleum or kryon (non-fusion) products are not safe for acyrlic. Many of the Krylon paints are labeled for being safe with plastic.

http://www.fishyreview.com/fake_sand.html

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The sanding is for better adhesion. Ugly when black paint comes off white PVC. I saw some really interesting stuff done with Krylon Fusion. I contacted Krylon...they could not recommend using Krylon Fusion in a fish tank. I'm thinking from a legal standpoint... There is not a fish forum where Krylon Fusion is not recommended and used by some one. There is also a spray paint that resembles sand. Probably not fish safe. I am going to put Polygem 307 Lite on the floor of my tank, paint it with acrylic paint to resemble sand, and then cover and seal it with a clear epoxy.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
The sanding is for better adhesion. Ugly when black paint comes off white PVC. I saw some really interesting stuff done with Krylon Fusion. I contacted Krylon...they could not recommend using Krylon Fusion in a fish tank. I'm thinking from a legal standpoint... There is not a fish forum where Krylon Fusion is not recommended and used by some one. There is also a spray paint that resembles sand. Probably not fish safe. I am going to put Polygem 307 Lite on the floor of my tank, paint it with acrylic paint to resemble sand, and then cover and seal it with a clear epoxy.
I’ll be painting the exterior, not the interior. Similar to how its done in that link I provided.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Then you probably should not sand it. It isn't like the painted surface is going to get bumped or hit or abraided with fish teeth and swirling water which could cause paint chipping/errosion. My 300 gallon tank came with black painted on the back. Perhaps you should just ask your tank builder if sanding is necessary (I'm thinking it may not be since it is on the outside)

DLoL2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I'd look into vinyl sheeting. Easy to remove and super durable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store