Squid as a staple

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
How big do you cut the strips RTF? I tried some on my silvers,CK, goby and puffer..They spit it out:confused: they might have found it a little too tough........:(

deangelo - i have big fishes... foot wide rays , 10-12 dats etc ... arowanas.. i just cut them into half inch wide strips about 1 inch long.. the bigger parts ( head etc.. ) i give to my biggest ray... They love it ! My fingers hate me for the stink !

Oddball - the only thing i took out was the ink sac and the plastic like vertebrae..

is300zx - the dats loved the tentacles... i hate pusit unless its calamari or grilled.. =)

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
Any seafood white meats, including cleaned squid and fresh/frozen/thawed raw shrimp, contains thiaminase which inhibits the fish's ability to assimilate and metabolize nutrients. As a staple, both squid and/or shrimp are OK provided you offer a supplement to offset missing vitamins and nutrients in a restricted diet. I use Vita-Chem in all of my predator tanks to replenish/provide missing vitamins (including B1 to offset the affects of thiaminase), minerals, and trace elements.
soooo uuuuuuhhhhhhh

what meat doesnt have any thiaminase??? or little of it?

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
I might have to start feeding squid...

gatotsu77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Orange, CA
When you feed your fish squid or shrimp, is any cooking or other preparation beyond slicing and rinsing necessary?

starrfish71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Gainesville, Florida
I regularly feed frozen squid- almost all of my fish love it- the only one who is being picky is my lineatus puffer- will only eat live shrimp so far. I feed it once a week or so- and alternate with other frozen or dry foods. ( aqua yums- alot less messy than cutting up your own)

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
When you feed your fish squid or shrimp, is any cooking or other preparation beyond slicing and rinsing necessary?

No cooking as it kills the other nutrients and vitamins in the meat. Thourough washing is required ( at least twice ) and for large squid, make sure that you take out the ink sac inside...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store