squirrelfish

hauntingurcoma

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
KILLEEN,TEXAS
ive been feeding my striped squirrel fish live brine shrimp cause hes new to my tank. Anyone know of a good diet for this fish. flake frozen live ??

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
I know this was not your question but..

Live brine shrimp being fed to a salt water aquarium is real risky business. They are bred in real nasty conditions and often carry multiple problems (parasites, bacterias, etc.) Since they are a salt water organisn, these thins will transfer into your aquarium and continue to live and possibly affect your fish.

As per you squirrel, they are not picky eaters, a good balanced diet such as Ocean Nutritions Formula one or two is a great multi complex diet to use. Suplementing it's diet with pieces of shrimp, krille, squid and the like are a good option too.

Joel

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
Honestly now ! i have never heard of a suirrel fish befor !

But i have just googled it and my god there some beautiful looking fish wow i realy like the look of them how are they ? whats there temprement ? Agressive or not ?

hauntingurcoma

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
KILLEEN,TEXAS
he is about 3 inches.very well behaved. hes in with 4 damsels and an urchin.Ive read that they are nocturnal but he is out in the open most the time.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
There are several squirrel and soldierfish species and according to the literature they are fairly mellow but will eat smaller fish and many inverts. The tank guides say that they are easy keepers and eat any meaty food.

screwd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
Singapore
Well,they are fairly common here..but i've nv touched them,heard that they grow too big and eat my tankmates..
Anywae,here's some info from liveaquaria

The Striped Squirrelfish, also known as the Hawaiian Squirrelfish, is one of the most common squirrelfish seen by scuba divers. It is bright red with thin, white horizontal stripes.

A 70 gallon or larger aquarium with large amounts of live rock, hiding places, and swimming room is recommended. It will do well with others of its own species as long as there is adequate hiding locations and adequate space. It will eat invertebrates such as worms, crustaceans, and serpent stars. It is a nocturnal fish and hides while the lights are on.

When first introduced into the aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. The diet should vary between live feeder shrimps, freeze-dried shrimps, chopped marine meats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store