SRD Flowerhorn Grow out

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Great progress thread, and you did good job raising him. Well, yes, okiko I don't like personally, and that's personal choice. NLS seems good, Hikari is regular. I didn't try northfin yet.

Food wise whatever you choose, feed him appropriate which you have been doing I guess, some FH, and it's my observation has a fat tummy, gets flat if we don't feed for a day or two, but gets back fat if just feed 3-4 pallets (May be a noticeable deformation)

Anyway, He is looking High Definition color which IMO is not his base color, this popping color comes when feeding the artificial coloration food. E.g. Okiko, or some brand head huncher, etc.

Anyway, he is long nose Flowerhorn, I like the short mouth one, the one I am keeping is kamfa traits which is well known for his baby face.

Overall, all about personal choice, but most importantly how you connect with him, the more you connect, the more he grows, because you give him TLC what he needs, and that is all about keeping any pet. When you plant a tree, you automatically know how to care to have it become fruitful tree!!

Excellent thread, keep it going!!

Edit: we rarely see FH thread on MFK forums, many keepers don't like much hybrids thus not seeing them regularly LOL!!

nicocan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2020
Looking good other than his gut. Looks like he needs to lay off feeding for a day or 2 so he can slim down a bit.

I usually feed mine only once a day to every other day. It helps them keep a healthy appetite while not getting fat along with reducing the risk of constipation and bloat.
Thanks for the post! But yes, already started to work on his gut. I am feeding him less pellets and fasted him for a few days. Already have seen significant improvement. Think I over did it on accident lol. But definitely recognized it when I took the picture, so I took action right away to get it under control.

Took me a little time to figure out a good feeding routine for him, but think I finally got him on the appropriate schedule. I'll. be incorporating more fast day as well. Appreciate the tips.

nicocan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2020
Great progress thread, and you did good job raising him. Well, yes, okiko I don't like personally, and that's personal choice. NLS seems good, Hikari is regular. I didn't try northfin yet.

Food wise whatever you choose, feed him appropriate which you have been doing I guess, some FH, and it's my observation has a fat tummy, gets flat if we don't feed for a day or two, but gets back fat if just feed 3-4 pallets (May be a noticeable deformation)

Anyway, He is looking High Definition color which IMO is not his base color, this popping color comes when feeding the artificial coloration food. E.g. Okiko, or some brand head huncher, etc.

Anyway, he is long nose Flowerhorn, I like the short mouth one, the one I am keeping is kamfa traits which is well known for his baby face.

Overall, all about personal choice, but most importantly how you connect with him, the more you connect, the more he grows, because you give him TLC what he needs, and that is all about keeping any pet. When you plant a tree, you automatically know how to care to have it become fruitful tree!!

Excellent thread, keep it going!!

Edit: we rarely see FH thread on MFK forums, many keepers don't like much hybrids thus not seeing them regularly LOL!!
Thank you! Appreciate the post. I actually barely feed okiko now, followed the advice of others who have posted. If I do, it's literally like 1 pellet lol, just to eventually finish the pack out and not let it go to waste. I primarily use hikari bio gold plus, been using that the most for over a week now. Still seeing great improvement.

Regarding the tummy, I actually just got a little carried away ahah. didn't even realize till I took the picture. it's been a few days now, am feeding him less pellets and fasted him a few days. Tummy is back to normal, I hope it's not a deformity ahaha.

Do you still think it's not his base color even though I barely feed okiko now?

But yeah, seems like everyone prefers the kamfa ahaha. I myself dont really mind, I value personality over any trait. Has always been super personable and interactive with me. He looks great to me, really excited to keep growing him and see how he turns out.

Glad you're enjoying the post, ill keep updating his progression Thanks!

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
yes, without the artificial color ingredients, to get this dark and shiny red, it's very difficult, and glad to see that he is growing naturally. He looks great.
Photo in my profile picture, I raised him from 1.5 inches to the huge one, that was ZZ traits, he has been healthy and happy with me for 2 years and I had to give him up to someone because I moved back to my native country for a while!

You are enjoying him and vice versa, that's the achievement! and also he is masterpiece to you. Plus, his kok will bloom in near future and he will have monster kok!

Thank you.

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
And if you get time, see my kamfa fry. He is developing more pearls, and little bit color.

Feeding Omega one, NLS, Hikari, and dried BW and shrimp occasionally. He looks skinny but he is so active and it seems he needs more fuel to grow. I haven't build a schedule of feeding, but I will after a week.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
yes, without the artificial color ingredients, to get this dark and shiny red, it's very difficult, and glad to see that he is growing naturally. He looks great.
Photo in my profile picture, I raised him from 1.5 inches to the huge one, that was ZZ traits, he has been healthy and happy with me for 2 years and I had to give him up to someone because I moved back to my native country for a while!

You are enjoying him and vice versa, that's the achievement! and also he is masterpiece to you. Plus, his kok will bloom in near future and he will have monster kok!

Thank you.
I disagree. The flowerhorn branded food such as okiko can’t produce color beyond genetics but are more so for faster results with color and growth hence the very high protein and krill and astaxanthin being some of the first on ingredients list along with “Containing Special Head Growth Enhancing Ingredients” and a bunch of junk fillers. Also only feeding a single pellet once in a while would have really no effect effect even if what you claim was true. Regardless regular food gets the same results as okiko and sustains the fish longterm health. Unlike okiko having a nice tank light and angle does wonders as seen in the last update image.

AlphaTintu

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sticking with Hikari, NLS, Omega one. I still doubt on other products that whatever they write on their packages are only ingredients they pour!!!!

So no experiment, only premium brands who have their own labs, premium filling, and trusted for years.

I promise NO arguments on food, nothing gets productive each time we discuss about food.

And I agree with all, and do highly respect their experience based on they keeping different traits, different genes.

And I agree with you, you like any particular brand, you should continue feeding.

Thanks!!

Reactions: HybridFinatic

nicocan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2020
Sticking with Hikari, NLS, Omega one. I still doubt on other products that whatever they write on their packages are only ingredients they pour!!!!

So no experiment, only premium brands who have their own labs, premium filling, and trusted for years.

I promise NO arguments on food, nothing gets productive each time we discuss about food.

And I agree with all, and do highly respect their experience based on they keeping different traits, different genes.

And I agree with you, you like any particular brand, you should continue feeding.

Thanks!!
I disagree. The flowerhorn branded food such as okiko can’t produce color beyond genetics but are more so for faster results with color and growth hence the very high protein and krill and astaxanthin being some of the first on ingredients list along with “Containing Special Head Growth Enhancing Ingredients” and a bunch of junk fillers. Also only feeding a single pellet once in a while would have really no effect effect even if what you claim was true. Regardless regular food gets the same results as okiko and sustains the fish longterm health. Unlike okiko having a nice tank light and angle does wonders as seen in the last update image.

Hmmm, not really sure about the subject of “artificial ingredients” in foods enhancing the overall appearance of the fish. I do understand what @hybridfanatic said though. I also believe at the end of the day it’s up to the fish’s genetics to produce the color. IMO, no food can make the fish develop colors that they are not already capable of doing themselves. Right when other’s on the forum informed me of how okiko is mostly junk i removed it from his diet almost entirely and replaced with hikari bio gold plus. Upon doing so, i have actually noticed even more improvement in his color and kok growth now that he is on a better diet.

Nevertheless, i agree not trying to start another food debate here lol. We’ll just agree to disagree. But overall, from what i have been reading food is not the only important factor that influences the fish’s overall development. I do regular water changes and perform grooming techniques daily so i have put in a lot of time to ensure he develops to his full potential.

I think if you take proper care and feed a good diet. Vibrant colors can be achieved and maintained. But yes good lighting, clean water, and the right angle doesn’t hurt as well lol.

I appreciate everyone’s tips and respect all opinions!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

nicocan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2020
And if you get time, see my kamfa fry. He is developing more pearls, and little bit color.

Feeding Omega one, NLS, Hikari, and dried BW and shrimp occasionally. He looks skinny but he is so active and it seems he needs more fuel to grow. I haven't build a schedule of feeding, but I will after a week.

Beautiful kamfa you have there as well, strong flowerline and pearls are already so vibrant. He’s going to become a great looking fish. Keep up dating the post, would enjoy seeing how he progresses. Good job!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store