Started the Ray pond this week

Harmonyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Calgary
hey guys. I did mention it leaked. it is a simple fix, but will take some time. I have not been on because I have not worked on it since school started. I continued to work during school, so I had no time. I did this weekend clean up the mess to get ready to finish

I am almost done work for the winter. I only have about six more ponds to winterize up here in calgary then I can get started on finishing the pond. I am pretty sure everything for me will slow down in a few weeks and I will have most of december off before starting a new sememster.

I had to stop working on the pond because I did not have enough time to do things properly. I started to rush some crucial points. my design broke down at the bulkheads. the bulkheads only sealed infront of the tile and not behind. when the weight of the water increased on the floor it cracked the bead of epoxy grout letting the water seep through. I then used some silicon to seal it, but the silicon did not seal at the grout lines when the pond was still full. so no I have to clean all the silicon out and do what I should have done first. that is where I rushed the project.

the good news is the plumping system is complete. I added a bag filter to the mix and the heating system is on the way. I found a nice small inline heater.

Marius

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Harmonyx;1879892; said:
I know zero about air exchangers. I just figured it was like a bathroom fan. I will go to rona tonight and look at them. the Coring people come sunday morning so I will need to know the dimessions of the hole they need to cut.
Nic;1880208; said:
air exchanger is just a fan that moves alot of air.... more energy efficient than dehumdiifiers
tank125;1880250; said:
Heat Exchangers only work with a temperature difference between the 2 different air sources. In the winter you are EXCHANGING the hot/humid air of the "pond room" with cold/dry air from outside. The HEAT from the inside air will transfer to the cold outside air that is coming in. The humidity will not transfer through the membrane >>>>> result is an effective way to remove humidity with little loss of heat energy and no creation of new heat energy (dehumidifiers release heat).
Harmonyx;2406905; said:
hey guys. I did mention it leaked. it is a simple fix, but will take some time. I have not been on because I have not worked on it since school started. I continued to work during school, so I had no time. I did this weekend clean up the mess to get ready to finish

I am almost done work for the winter. I only have about six more ponds to winterize up here in calgary then I can get started on finishing the pond. I am pretty sure everything for me will slow down in a few weeks and I will have most of december off before starting a new sememster.

I had to stop working on the pond because I did not have enough time to do things properly. I started to rush some crucial points. my design broke down at the bulkheads. the bulkheads only sealed infront of the tile and not behind. when the weight of the water increased on the floor it cracked the bead of epoxy grout letting the water seep through. I then used some silicon to seal it, but the silicon did not seal at the grout lines when the pond was still full. so no I have to clean all the silicon out and do what I should have done first. that is where I rushed the project.

the good news is the plumping system is complete. I added a bag filter to the mix and the heating system is on the way. I found a nice small inline heater.

Glad to see you back here. No worries, we'll wait ...or at least some of us more patient folks will, the rest will keep harrassing you for more photos :D

Nice job man :headbang2

Kevaldo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
England
Harmonyx;2406905; said:

welcome back buddy, hope you get it sorted out soon.

Harmonyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Calgary
Ok, out door pond season has pretty much come to an end, so I found the time to finish my pond.

Here are some pictures that I just took.

The lights on the bottom worked out a lot better than I thought. It really lights up the pond when the rest of the room is dark.

there are some pics of the filter and heating system. I am hooking up an external aquastat so I don't cook my fish.

The Wife says I spent to much so I can't finish the outside of the pond for a while.

I took out the ramp, because I hate clutter and it looked awful.

I was going to write a big long post, but I am too nervous about a leak showing up and I am too excited that I can't think of anything to write

IMG_9062.JPG

IMG_9067.JPG

IMG_9083.JPG

IMG_9084.JPG

IMG_9060.JPG

IMG_9079.JPG

IMG_9070.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store