Stingray help

Krazedk9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
Just got this 6-7in girl sold as a motoro. Her belly seems really red. Purchased at a sold where she was kept on coarse gravel. Will pristine water conditions and better substrate fix this problem? Eating well and active. DoIMG_20190424_135434.jpgIMG_20190424_135434.jpg you think pure motoro or hybrid?

IMG_20190424_135535.jpg

IMG_20190424_135436.jpg

IMG_20190424_135435.jpg

IMG_20190424_080737.jpg

Attachments

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Nice pick up. Sounds like you have the right idea with good water and sand. She looks almost identical to my male marble motoro (pure bred).

From what I have read mostly on here is that it is typical for pups this size to have a pinkish belly. Others can correct me if I’m wrong tho.

I had the same concern with mine when I first picked it up. He’s been very healthy and I haven’t had any issues so far, so I just believe what I read. Lol.

How long have you had her, what are you feeding? Any tank mates?

Krazedk9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
Nice pick up. Sounds like you have the right idea with good water and sand. She looks almost identical to my male marble motoro (pure bred).

From what I have read mostly on here is that it is typical for pups this size to have a pinkish belly. Others can correct me if I’m wrong tho.

I had the same concern with mine when I first picked it up. He’s been very healthy and I haven’t had any issues so far, so I just believe what I read. Lol.

How long have you had her, what are you feeding? Any tank mates?
Just got her last night. Eating earthworms and market shrimp. Made sure she ate before buying her. Had to put her in the main tank because my isolation tank started leaking. 2 smaller male motoro x leopoldis a delhezi polyterus and a silver arowana

Reactions: Matteus

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Yeah, it doesn't look open or anything so I wouldn't be concerned. As always, clean water and good diet will often fix the problem.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Cool. I assume you have already researched these guys and understand how big they get?

How long have you had the others? Have you kept these guys previously?

Krazedk9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
Cool. I assume you have already researched these guys and understand how big they get?

How long have you had the others? Have you kept these guys previously?
Yes I'm aware of how big they get and in the process of building a 8x8ft plywood tank. These are my first stingrays and I have done alot of research. I have had the 2 males for just over a month

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Nice. You sound like you have an understanding, hence my assumptions lol.

Please make a thread about that. Lots of us here would love to watch the progress.

One thing I would caution is to watch the Del with the rays. I’m not sure how big it is but I have heard of horror stories involving this mix. My friend who bred my motoro had a 3” albino senegalus grab a pup and shake it in its mouth like a dog with a chew toy and the pup died. Then same guy had a 10” Del in with the parents and it only lasted a few days before it got demolished.

I would imagine the size differences would greatly matter. Not sure what size your Del is but I would definitely keep a close eye on them. Especially after lights out, both species go crazy after lights out.

Thanks for sharing, please post pics of the others. Would love to see them.

Krazedk9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah the delhezi is being moved tonight. Was just put in for a few days to heal up from an attack from a catfish. He is also super docile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store