Stocking 125 gallon. Green Terror and.....

Jtevans86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
Hey everyone, first post here. So this will be my first CA/SA ciculid tank. I've dabbled in reef tanks, planted tanks, and African cichlid tanks during my time in the hobby. So I'm excited to start this tank. It's a 6 foot 125 gallon. It will have pool filter sand, quite a bit of driftwood and some small/mid boulders. Filtration will consist of my fx6 and a Cascade 1500. I was going to go Jack for my centerpiece but decided on a green Terror because I hear they are just a more exciting and interesting species to watch. I'd like to have a handful of 4-6 inch cichlids along with it if possible. Ideas?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I have a female GT in a 4'x2'x2' 120gal tank with an L397 pleco. I did have black widow tetras with her as well but had to remove them after she killed one. They lasted a couple of months with no problems then one day out of the blue BAM! Dead tetra.

My female is about 6" long. I wouldn't put another cichlid in with her as I believe she'd try to kill it. She tolerates the pleco because he stays on the bottom, any fish in the actual water column better be ready for a fight.

In a 6' tank you may have more luck with tank mates than I did but make sure they are either really quick and have somewhere to retreat where the GT can't get to them, or be prepared for a massacre out of the blue and to separate. It may not happen, but there's a higher chance that it will.

Why not instead of cichlid tank mates try a pair of GT's and some larger dithers like swordtails, tall bodied tetras, etc? Just make sure you have a large enough group of dithers, I only had 7 widows in with my GT which wasn't enough to confuse her and she nabbed one. :(

Whatever you decide mate, good luck! :)

TL;DR? Be careful putting tank mates with terrors, there's a reason they're called "terrors"

Disclaimer: I do not know everything, nor do I claim to. This is my opinion based off of my experiences. Results may vary.

Jtevans86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
I have a female GT in a 4'x2'x2' 120gal tank with an L397 pleco. I did have black widow tetras with her as well but had to remove them after she killed one. They lasted a couple of months with no problems then one day out of the blue BAM! Dead tetra.

My female is about 6" long. I wouldn't put another cichlid in with her as I believe she'd try to kill it. She tolerates the pleco because he stays on the bottom, any fish in the actual water column better be ready for a fight.

In a 6' tank you may have more luck with tank mates than I did but make sure they are either really quick and have somewhere to retreat where the GT can't get to them, or be prepared for a massacre out of the blue and to separate. It may not happen, but there's a higher chance that it will.

Why not instead of cichlid tank mates try a pair of GT's and some larger dithers like swordtails, tall bodied tetras, etc? Just make sure you have a large enough group of dithers, I only had 7 widows in with my GT which wasn't enough to confuse her and she nabbed one. :(

Whatever you decide mate, good luck! :)

TL;DR? Be careful putting tank mates with terrors, there's a reason they're called "terrors"

Disclaimer: I do not know everything, nor do I claim to. This is my opinion based off of my experiences. Results may vary.
Yeah I was afraid of that. Ive read mixed success stories but probanly want to avoid that altogether. I would like a tank of cichlids, 1 larger alpha and some smaller ones with character.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone, first post here. So this will be my first CA/SA ciculid tank. I've dabbled in reef tanks, planted tanks, and African cichlid tanks during my time in the hobby. So I'm excited to start this tank. It's a 6 foot 125 gallon. It will have pool filter sand, quite a bit of driftwood and some small/mid boulders. Filtration will consist of my fx6 and a Cascade 1500. I was going to go Jack for my centerpiece but decided on a green Terror because I hear they are just a more exciting and interesting species to watch. I'd like to have a handful of 4-6 inch cichlids along with it if possible. Ideas?

Welcome aboard
MrsE88 MrsE88

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Having been in the hobby a bit and prior experience with cichlids you know that they can be vastly different from one fish to another. What may work for one GT may not work with yours.

With that said I am suggesting a different course. Have your GT as your center piece. Get a supporting cast that won't fight with/compete with your GT. A nice catfish, pleco, Flagtail Prochilodus. This way the GT won't be fighting with other fish for turf. It's fins will stay nice and unnipped by other fish. Males can grow out some nice long streamers.

I have this sort of setup going with a H. Carpintis. My main fellow always looks perfect. No fight marks, missing scales. He's in with 3 catfish, a Flagtail and a Pink tailed Chalceus. No one fights and I get to watch a few different cool fish do thier thing.20181223_195453.jpg

It's been a few months now and all is well. Just crossing my fingures that all growing up together will help with keeping the peace.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Yeah I was afraid of that. Ive read mixed success stories but probanly want to avoid that altogether. I would like a tank of cichlids, 1 larger alpha and some smaller ones with character.
Why not a tank of thorichthys instead?
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 had some beautiful ones a while ago. :)

You'll have an alpha in the group and they should all get along in a group. :)

Jtevans86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
Having been in the hobby a bit and prior experience with cichlids you know that they can be vastly different from one fish to another. What may work for one GT may not work with yours.

With that said I am suggesting a different course. Have your GT as your center piece. Get a supporting cast that won't fight with/compete with your GT. A nice catfish, pleco, Flagtail Prochilodus. This way the GT won't be fighting with other fish for turf. It's fins will stay nice and unnipped by other fish. Males can grow out some nice long streamers.

I have this sort of setup going with a H. Carpintis. My main fellow always looks perfect. No fight marks, missing scales. He's in with 3 catfish, a Flagtail and a Pink tailed Chalceus. No one fights and I get to watch a few different cool fish do thier thing.View attachment 1353192

It's been a few months now and all is well. Just crossing my fingures that all growing up together will help with keeping the peace.
Beautiful Fish

Jtevans86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
Why not a tank of thorichthys instead?
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 had some beautiful ones a while ago. :)

You'll have an alpha in the group and they should all get along in a group. :)
How many can you typically have in a 125 gallon, and wont there be problems later if 2 of them pair up.?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I almost did this set-up. I was going to go with 7 meeki and 7 pasionis. These fish prefer to be in groups like tetras.

Reactions: Jtevans86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store