Stocking 75 Gallon Tank

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
i thought the Fire Eel only got to 40 cm
40" not 40 cm. And it will reach most of that long before 3 years, much less 5-6 years are up. Although some people will tell you they don't, there are a dozen or more threads where people vouch for seeing 3+ foot long fire eels in aquariums.

Even if it only gets to 32" (20% smaller than we know it can reach in aquariums), the fire eel --- by itself --- will produce 10 ppm of nitrates per day due to it's feeding requirements and thus force a 100% water change every 1-2 days. And this really ignores how horrible that situation would be for a 30" fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
40" not 40 cm. And it will reach most of that long before 3 years, much less 5-6 years are up. Although some people will tell you they don't, there are a dozen or more threads where people vouch for seeing 3+ foot long fire eels in aquariums.

Even if it only gets to 32" (20% smaller than we know it can reach in aquariums), the fire eel --- by itself --- will produce 10 ppm of nitrates per day due to it's feeding requirements and thus force a 100% water change every 1-2 days. And this really ignores how horrible that situation would be for a 30" fish.
^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Like Bertie mentioned, there are other smaller spiny eels like the peacock eel that would work in your tank for life.

There are also lots of colorful options for the other levels as well, but you'll need to rehome your current fish first.

What is your pH and water hardness?

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yes, 40 inches is a lot bigger than 40 cm. I would definitely find another home for your fire eel, he will not be okay in the 75 for more than a year. And it is easier to find a home for a small eel than a large one.
About the African cichlids- that is a much better idea. You could do it a few different ways. Personally I would do a colony of tropheus. Beautiful tanganyikan cichlids that live in large groups. You would want around 20 of them- they kill each other in smaller numbers.
You could also just do mixed mbuna, which will be cheaper and would allow you to have many different colors/species. It just depends on your taste.

PredatorCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2017
Hi i would like to get ideas on how to stock my 75 gallon tank... it is cycled and i would like to keep my Fire Eel and Hi-Fin Plecostomus in the tank with whatever you come up with. Thanks :)
Too small for a fire eel. How about a peacock eel and maybe a Oscar? Or Senegal Birchir and I guess it's possible to keep 1 of the Datnoid species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store