Stocking advice needed

heatherbeehappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2021
I’m preparing to stock a new 125 gallon tank (will be cycled prior to adding fish). I’d love some expert advice. I want to keep some combination of geophagus tapajos, threadfin acara, angelfish, and Bolivian rams. Maybe some sort of schooling dither fish also. I just don’t know how many of each to put in.
So many sites say you need to have at least six of everything but I’ve also seen tanks with smaller combinations that appear successful.
This will be a low-tech planted tank and with all those earth eaters I know I need to stick with plants that can be attached somehow. I also plan to provide plenty of hiding spots and sight breaks.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’m preparing to stock a new 125 gallon tank (will be cycled prior to adding fish). I’d love some expert advice. I want to keep some combination of geophagus tapajos, threadfin acara, angelfish, and Bolivian rams. Maybe some sort of schooling dither fish also. I just don’t know how many of each to put in.
So many sites say you need to have at least six of everything but I’ve also seen tanks with smaller combinations that appear successful.
This will be a low-tech planted tank and with all those earth eaters I know I need to stick with plants that can be attached somehow. I also plan to provide plenty of hiding spots and sight breaks.
Welcome aboard
I personally would replace the Threadfin with another species of fish like Columbian Tetra. The Threadfin can become boisterous once mature.

Reactions: heatherbeehappy

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
I would recommend 6-7 Red Head Tapajos. I have a group of 6 in my 125 and am actually considering expanding to 8 in the near future. They are unique for cichlids in that they do well shoaling even as adults, and more fish provides more opportunities for breeding pairs to form. I currently have 2 out of my 6 fish.

In regards to Angelfish, I would do just 1. If you don't do 1, 5-6 would be best, but that along with the school of tapajos puts a solid strain on your bioload.

As for Bolivian Rams, I'd shoot for a trio (1 male, 2 females) if possible. Because they are so small, you could probably get away with 5-6 of these if you only keep 1 Angel.

Other than that, a school of 12-15 tetras and 1 bristlenose would probably compliment the Geos/Angels/Rams well.

heatherbeehappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2021
I would recommend 6-7 Red Head Tapajos. I have a group of 6 in my 125 and am actually considering expanding to 8 in the near future. They are unique for cichlids in that they do well shoaling even as adults, and more fish provides more opportunities for breeding pairs to form. I currently have 2 out of my 6 fish.

In regards to Angelfish, I would do just 1. If you don't do 1, 5-6 would be best, but that along with the school of tapajos puts a solid strain on your bioload.

As for Bolivian Rams, I'd shoot for a trio (1 male, 2 females) if possible. Because they are so small, you could probably get away with 5-6 of these if you only keep 1 Angel.

Other than that, a school of 12-15 tetras and 1 bristlenose would probably compliment the Geos/Angels/Rams well.
Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store