1Giraffe cat or a dozen clownloaches

Any ideas ?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
220 going to be a bit small for a silver arowana in the long run. I would leave it out unless you have a bigger tank as well.
Other than that, the flowerhorn is going to be a bit more aggressive than the Oscar and blood parrot. Might have more success replacing the Oscar and BP with amphilophus fish like midas/devils or similar species. And adding a couple more to disperse aggression might be wise as well: like 5 fish instead of 3. All males would also be a good idea, breeding pairs can throw a wrench in things. The amphilophus should also be okay with the bichir and giraffe cat.

PEANUTBUTTER

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2014
Canada
220 going to be a bit small for a silver arowana in the long run. I would leave it out unless you have a bigger tank as well.
Other than that, the flowerhorn is going to be a bit more aggressive than the Oscar and blood parrot. Might have more success replacing the Oscar and BP with amphilophus fish like midas/devils or similar species. And adding a couple more to disperse aggression might be wise as well: like 5 fish instead of 3. All males would also be a good idea, breeding pairs can throw a wrench in things. The amphilophus should also be okay with the bichir and giraffe cat.

My brother has a 400 gallon tank that the arowana will go once it eventually grows out. Also i really did want to have a devil but i figured more aggressive fish more consisitent fighting no? So i thought since oscar amd blood parrot are pretty chill for the most part theyll leave the flowerhorn alone and their size might be enough for the flowerhorn to leave them alone.

Granted it all depends on the individual, ive seen people keep flowerhorns with oscars and etc fine and others had to keep theirs alone.

So should i get the flowerhorn last so it might not murder everyone ?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Getting the flowerhorn last would be a good idea, yes. And yeah, I mean it could work with the Oscar and bp, all fish are different. But I do think you might be better off picking some more aggressive fish. There might be more quabbling but all fish would be able to deal with it. I'd worry the oscar would get torn up if the FH was aggressive. Plenty of species other than devils would work.

PEANUTBUTTER

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2014
Canada
Okay new idea how does this stock look ?
2 oscars
1 silver arowana
1 ornate birchir
1 albino pacu
3 tinfoil barbs
1 datnoid
1 giraffe cat

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
That should work as I had most of those fish in my tank (a while back)
Though I know next to nothing about the Datnoids, so somone else can confirm if they would co-exist peacefully.

As for your earlier plan, its often on the personalities of your fish. I have seen peace loving flowerhorns happy to stay with anyone also brutal beasts who will kill anything including the pleco in his tank.

Your best bet if you want a flowerhorn is pairing him with a Red devil, Green terror, Jack Demsey type fish (rather than docile fish like Oscars and parrots) and if any of them get too aggressive you remove them from the tank, until you achieve a peaceful co-existence.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Okay new idea how does this stock look ?
2 oscars
1 silver arowana
1 ornate birchir
1 albino pacu
3 tinfoil barbs
1 datnoid
1 giraffe cat
I'd forget the pacu. Your brothers 400 will be too small, going to be impossible for you to re-home once it's huge.

Reactions: J. H.

PEANUTBUTTER

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2014
Canada
Yeah you guys are right but i just want one sooooo bad lmao pacu are one of my favorite fish ive always kept some and kept on having to trade them in to the store for credit once they turned to monsters lol i should avoid it, luckily ny guy doesnt havent any otherwise my impulses would have taken over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store