Stocking ideas for 75 gallon tank

PB&Jcichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2022
I love cichlids. The thing is, my filtration is 2 Tetra Whisper EX 70 filters, idk if this enough, for I am a newbie. I like bichirs, Jack Dempseys, electric blue Acaras, Severums, firemouths, convicts, Oscar’s, eels (like knife fish), and other medium sized cichlids/bottom feeders. I can do like 25% a week water changes, and I have a 3” delhezi bichir. All ideas are greatly appreciated. I have around 5 10” plants (all El Niño ferns)

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
pair of jacks OR EBA's or Severums. no other fish.

No oscar unless its completely alone and you dramatically increase WC regime to 75-90% weekly as a start.

I'd get a large group of FM and fill the upper strata with sailfin mollys or swordtails and call it a day

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
pair of jacks OR EBA's or Severums. no other fish.

No oscar unless its completely alone and you dramatically increase WC regime to 75-90% weekly as a start.

I'd get a large group of FM and fill the upper strata with sailfin mollys or swordtails and call it a day
Agree
A 75 is too small for 1 adult oscar alone.
Barely big enough for 1 pair JDs as 10" adults.
EBA, pair seems OK, and couple severums for a while, but not forever. as full adults.
Even then, as they grow, water changes will need to be continuously upgraded to reflect their size, and the nitrate waste they put out.

Last edited:

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
pair of convicts? really agressive and i find them one of the most fun cichlids to have.

But if you have a bichir in there i wouldnt recommend any cichlids (that are agressive).
I would go with african butterfly and maybe some cherrycichlids or something.

Reactions: aussieman57

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Im not sure man. Wouldn't an adult delhezi possible eat the apistogramma / dwarfpike cichlid?
I had a dwarfpike with smaller senegal and that worked for a while. I cant remember why the dwarfpike died but i thought it got eaten, but it might have been a catfish.
If not then it one of those species would indeed be great combination.

Do you only have a bichir or are there other fish in that 75 gallon aswell?

PB&Jcichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2022
Im not sure man. Wouldn't an adult delhezi possible eat the apistogramma / dwarfpike cichlid?
I had a dwarfpike with smaller senegal and that worked for a while. I cant remember why the dwarfpike died but i thought it got eaten, but it might have been a catfish.
If not then it one of those species would indeed be great combination.

Do you only have a bichir or are there other fish in that 75 gallon aswell?
Just a bichir and a rosy giant danio but I can move the danio to the 40 gallon.

PB&Jcichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2022
I can up the water changes to 40 a week but I have not the best tap so I keep 5 gallon buckets of water that has sat in medicine for a few
days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store