Stocking ideas for a 90 gallon

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I agree there! When you mix O's and community you need other similar or bigger sized fish. Difficult in tanks on the smaller end like this. Synos are great but fairly shy to start

Reactions: taylor the beast

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
What I'm saying here is over stocking by one fish isn't going to kill your parms now by 20 fish that's a different story
Actually it could.
You were asking about stocking advice yourself a couple of days ago.From what I was seeing you really needed it..
I don't see how you can give out advice when you, personally have no idea about stocking a tank and your advice is awful.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
What I'm saying here is over stocking by one fish isn't going to kill your parms now by 20 fish that's a different story
I don't know, but I have run overstocked and understocked tanks. The understocked ones are usually easier to care for and usually have happier fish. In my opinion, what other people tell you is just an educated guess. As you keep the tank or fish you learn them and know whether or not ou are overstocked. I have said in other threads without being challenged, and seen in first person, with the right fish/tank/decor/filtration/denitration/WC and careful planning, you can overstock insanely and suffer no issues (look at Aquaponics websites and see their stocking densities and how healthy their fish are). However, if you are like most mere mortals, an understocked tank is the way to go. I have only been able to overstock with tough and gentle fish (cories, goldfish, gouramies, WCMM, mollies, platies, guppies), and even then only while keeping DWC aquaponics and a careful eye on the tank. There is no line between overstocked or understocked. If all your fish are full grown, and all your params and your aggression is perfect, and you have fish that will accept new tankmates, and you are OK with a little more work, overstock a little, if you want. Do not tell someone else to do it, and do not set up a tank from the start to be overstocked, unless you have a plan B if things start to fall apart, it is a bad idea.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Being overstocked is a completely different thing to running a crowded tank.
If your over stocked your over stocked ie, bio load is too heavy or fish are housed in a manner unfit for their long term wellbeing.
This is a different scenario to stocking a crowded tank.
Crowded tanks like some mbuna tanks for example have planned for those densities. Water changes and filtration must be appropriate for such tanks.
My objection was that someone asked about sensible stocking for a 90 gallon.
I believe the op has asked on the forum to seek advice from people with experience so he can be pointed in the right direction.
Then he received a stupid uninformed comment by an individual who clearly has not got the faintest idea about stocking.
His own tank is completely overstocked with fish that will completely outgrow it or become extremely stunted trying.
If this guy had experience and explained about filtration, water management etc involved in running a crowded tank it would not have been so bad.
Otherwise it was still a ridiculous statement by someone who is not qualified to be giving advice.

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
I don't know, but I have run overstocked and understocked tanks. The understocked ones are usually easier to care for and usually have happier fish. In my opinion, what other people tell you is just an educated guess. As you keep the tank or fish you learn them and know whether or not ou are overstocked. I have said in other threads without being challenged, and seen in first person, with the right fish/tank/decor/filtration/denitration/WC and careful planning, you can overstock insanely and suffer no issues (look at Aquaponics websites and see their stocking densities and how healthy their fish are). However, if you are like most mere mortals, an understocked tank is the way to go. I have only been able to overstock with tough and gentle fish (cories, goldfish, gouramies, WCMM, mollies, platies, guppies), and even then only while keeping DWC aquaponics and a careful eye on the tank. There is no line between overstocked or understocked. If all your fish are full grown, and all your params and your aggression is perfect, and you have fish that will accept new tankmates, and you are OK with a little more work, overstock a little, if you want. Do not tell someone else to do it, and do not set up a tank from the start to be overstocked, unless you have a plan B if things start to fall apart, it is a bad idea.
Thank you!,you are so right because yes i think my tank is overstocked (55 gallon) but everyone gets along just fine ..well they agrue every know and then but thats a given because most of them are cichlids for example i have
1 firemouth
1 angel
1 festive
1 blue acara
1 bolivian ram
1 gold serverum and they all get along fine ...(yes i do have a spare 30 gallon tank just in case **** kicks of but that is probaly the best advice about 'stocking' i heard :) thank you

taylor the beast

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2015
england
Being overstocked is a completely different thing to running a crowded tank.
If your over stocked your over stocked ie, bio load is too heavy or fish are housed in a manner unfit for their long term wellbeing.
This is a different scenario to stocking a crowded tank.
Crowded tanks like some mbuna tanks for example have planned for those densities. Water changes and filtration must be appropriate for such tanks.
My objection was that someone asked about sensible stocking for a 90 gallon.
I believe the op has asked on the forum to seek advice from people with experience so he can be pointed in the right direction.
Then he received a stupid uninformed comment by an individual who clearly has not got the faintest idea about stocking.
His own tank is completely overstocked with fish that will completely outgrow it or become extremely stunted trying.
If this guy had experience and explained about filtration, water management etc involved in running a crowded tank it would not have been so bad.
Otherwise it was still a ridiculous statement by someone who is not qualified to be giving advice.
Bow down to that yes i dont want a overstocked tank im not the person its the worst thing see fish over stocked in a tank its just cruel and inhumane thank you, you have been really helpful and so nice to me :) i will go for your advice not the little kids oh just quickly filteration it is that the filter is ment to turn the volume of the tank by 10-15 times an hour?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
10-15 times is great :)

I would say get the ram out, won't last long with the rest, festivum also

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com