Strange looking parrots

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
That awesome T, thankyou. I’ll be really happy if they breed Iv got a set up cycling now to get the other fish out of the tank an leave these to breed and raise fry. I will keep you updated. Iv never owned or bred parrot fish before so their behavior and character is new to me.

Dainbramage

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2015
To me they look like a pair.?.?. The one fish. . . I'm guessing the female. . . is scratching from a parasite or irritation. Turn temp up to 86 and add aquarium salt one tbsp per five gallons

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Thankyou dainbramage. As I say I don’t think it is the male was doing it on the cave he claimed then stopped. Now the female is downing it only when he is around of a morning when the light is on otherwise the rest of the day normal unless they together and the female does her flipping vertical thing. I have just had a devistation from ich that killed everything in days including a young arrowana so me and the wife are constantly checking and have everything in place for when their are any symptoms. But right now I’m gunna say everything is good. Because it’s not random or constant it consistent of early morning when the light is on and they meet.

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
I must add they don’t share a cave. The blue male has the pot cave the white female im guessing has made a nest in the sand in a corner.

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
They’re black cons crossed with parrots. One of my lfs just got a few in and I’ve been drooling all over them. The store manager has also fallen head over heels and won’t sell them. They live in the display tank now.
I’ve also seen them on ebay by the name of “zebra parrot”. In the listing they were described as a “new hybrid” made by a convict and blood parrot cross. They’re selling for $100 for 4 fish.
I liked them enough that I started a new breeding project with a cons and blood parrots. I will post the fry when they’re big enough to tell what I actually ended up with. I’m assuming the cute little butterballs in the stores are not first generation so I’ll be breeding the fry back with another blood parrot to get a better body shape.

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
They’re black cons crossed with parrots. One of my lfs just got a few in and I’ve been drooling all over them. The store manager has also fallen head over heels and won’t sell them. They live in the display tank now.
I’ve also seen them on ebay by the name of “zebra parrot”. In the listing they were described as a “new hybrid” made by a convict and blood parrot cross. They’re selling for $100 for 4 fish.
I liked them enough that I started a new breeding project with a cons and blood parrots. I will post the fry when they’re big enough to tell what I actually ended up with. I’m assuming the cute little butterballs in the stores are not first generation so I’ll be breeding the fry back with another blood parrot to get a better body shape.

I’m trying to breed these their becoming difficult to get along the more I watch An do the more I’m thinking their both the same sex or the white is a little slow in the head the black is always chasing and the white allways flips over then nothing happens. Iv never seen this so don’t know what it is they won’t share caves or anything. I was considering either getting more or getting convicts to try them but as you say it may lose the beauty of the parrot. But don’t want parrot and lose the beauty of the convict ha ha

fishblahblah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
PA
Yea the current fry that I have are a result of a pink con/bp cross and a black con. So these babies will be mostly convict. They’re too small to tell what body shape and color I have so far. I have a female parrot, a male black con, and a male marble con set up in their own tank and am hoping she’ll pick a mate soon. Good luck on ur project!

I would suggest getting more of the type you already have and letting a pair form naturally. I’m learning that it’s a bit more difficult to force a pair and if you can get the same types they will hopefully breed true.

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
I don't think they are. My BP x cons didn't look like this.

Your fish sounds like a balloon pink con btw. If your black con has the pink gene then you'll get a mix of pinks and blacks. They won't be short body though as both parents need to be to produce short body fry.

Reactions: HybridFinatic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store