Stray voltage causing issues in tanks!

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
When was the last time you checked for stray voltage in your tank?

I think for many North American/European fish keepers this might not be a super big issue, because by law most all of your homes/businesses are required to have 3-prong grounded outlets/electrical systems with GFI/GFCI.

However, for many Asian countries this simply isn't the case (Singapore being a likely exception as they're very safety conscious there) -- crazy as it sounds most of our homes are not even grounded and most only have outlets with 2 holes. Individual appliances like refrigerators and water heaters may or may not be grounded separately.

To make matters worse, unlike other saner countries, most devices here with 2 prongs have prongs that are the same exact size, one isn't bigger than the other so it's very easy to put them into outlets wrong as I found out.

My house (long-term lease we moved into last year) is mostly not properly grounded, though a newer addition on the front of the house is, and there are grounded outlets outside of the house in a few places and also a couple in the kitchen. I have 1 tank in that front room, it has no stray voltage, let alone any current running through it.

However, my other 3 rooms, each of which has a tank (2 Aro tanks and 1 Flowerhorn tank) the outlets are not grounded. I recently found/suspect this to be causing problems in at least 2 of these tanks:
1) about a month ago my Kamfa Flowerhorn almost totally stopped coming to the surface to eat, and if he did it would be a really quick snap, as if he was scared of something there. So I just started giving him sinking pellets after this change in behavior. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why, as he's always been a fearless, super voracious eater no matter where the food was.
2) my blue base xback recently got several small pinholes on her head -- at first I wondered if it was HITH, but water parameters are fine (0/0/10-20ppm), the tank is siphoned daily of waste and kept quite pristine, and also her appetite is fine and feces are normal, no white and stringy stuff. That said her energy level seems down, and she's not striking her food with same previous gusto.

Then I remembered that stray voltage is thought to be one possible cause of HITH/lateral line erosion.

So I got out a multi-meter and sure enough: Kamfa tank was showing about 55 volts (analog meter) and the Blue Base's tank had a bit over 50 volts. Also my Goldenhead's tank was about 40-45, though he hasn't shown any effects (yet). To make matters worse, the Kamfa tank actually had current running through it, though I don't know how much as I only have a simple pen-style amp checker. Doesn't matter though, any current at all is bad. I always wear croc style rubber shoes when working on or even feeding my tanks, so never felt any of the current, but it was there.

Some people argue that stray voltage under 50 volts isn't going to harm your fish (bird on the wire effect); others say any voltage at all can cause stress to fish and is to be avoided. I'm really not sure myself, but I would rather strive for the latter, especially with fish like Arowana which have very prominent lateral lines.

So I've been playing around with all 3 tanks recently, spending major time testing various devices, taking out some (I had small 3 watt wave makers that were putting out like 20 volts!) and changing how they were plugged into extension cords and/or outlets. Just turning over some of the 2 pronged plugs made a big difference! I also plugged the bigger pumps in each tank to extension cords running through windows left ajar and to the grounded plugs outside. This helped even more to reduce the voltage (and eliminated the current running through the Kamfa tank).

By doing this was I was finally able to get the Flowerhorn tank down to about 20 volts, the Blue Base tank down to 0 and the Goldenhead tank to about 15 volts. Although he's still a bit scared (once bitten, twice shy), the Flowerhorn is now back to eating more comfortably at top of the tank. I'm hoping the Blue Base's holes go away, but it'll likely take some time and more frequent water changes (will go to every 5 days instead of every 7-8 days).

While current numbers aren't terrible I'd like to aim for 0 voltage in all tanks. So today I finally got in an electrician and he's installing a new electric line, 2 separate (and longer) grounding rods (2 meters) and proper outlets in the 3 rooms as I write.

When he's done I'll report the voltage from each of the tanks.

But I've posted all of this as a heads-up to especially my fellow fish keepers here in Asia or other areas with less stringent safety codes: if your fish is acting or looking strange and you've mostly eliminated other factors (e.g. water parameters, tank mates, etc.), I highly recommend to invest in a cheap multi-meter and check the stray voltage in your tank, it could very well be causing issues/stress for your fish.

P.s. I know there is huge debate about whether or not to use grounding probes in tanks to control stray voltage, but this isn't really the thrust of this thread -- if one's house isn't properly grounded like so many here, I'm not sure if setting up a properly safe ground probe is even possible, but when it comes to electrical engineering stuff I'm pretty much a dunce and trying to learning more.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Interesting thread, and some good points. I'd be checking with a meter as well, if I lived in your part of the world. I have grounding probes in my tank, off of a GFCI protected power bar, but my house is also properly grounded. I started doing that yrs ago when the Stealth heaters started cracking, and some even blowing up like pipe bombs.
This is how I caught a fine crack/voltage leak in one of my heaters yrs ago.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Interesting thread, and some good points. I'd be checking with a meter as well, if I lived in your part of the world. I have grounding probes in my tank, off of a GFCI protected power bar, but my house is also properly grounded. I started doing that yrs ago when the Stealth heaters started cracking, and some even blowing up like pipe bombs.
This is how I caught a fine crack/voltage leak in one of my heaters yrs ago.
Thanks Neil -- even portable GFCI protectors for power bars are nigh on impossible to find in Thailand; I ordered one online from China and it konked out after a couple of months -- but now I'm wondering if it wasn't konking out but simply re-setting itself because whatever it was plugged into was messed up...I'm going to pull it out and test it with the new grounded outlets being installed.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
A couple of other related points I didn't mention in OP:

1) my Kamfa also had a strange pimple like growth on one of his pectoral fins. I thought it was merely a little injury/fin breakage and it stayed small for a while. But over the last couple of months it grew quite larger (and appeared to be filled with liquid). I tried treating first with salt, then both external and internal meds, to no effect. I began to wonder if it was some kind of tumor. In any case, in the 2 days since I've reduced the voltage more than half in his tank, this growth is now markedly smaller, in fact about 60% smaller. I'm not 100% sure there is a causal relationship, just stating the facts as I'm observing. It's my thinking that the voltage was stressing him out to the degree it was effecting his immune system/healing powers. The question is will it completely/mostly disappear...will update later.

Tonite, more than half the size it was 2 days ago:

2) yesterday I also noticed that despite now being smaller than the Goldenhead (who was smaller but has been growing faster), the small holes that make up her lateral lines on both sides are clearly larger than the GH's tiny holes; some are even a little bit oval shaped. Again I'm not sure there is a relation to the the higher voltage she had in her tank, but it's interesting to note.

As a side point: I did soak her food in 3% epsom salt for 2 X 3-day sessions with a 2-day break between, just as a little precaution in case it is a possible Hexamita related issue. I also just got in some Arowana Spa (Catappa leaf extract) a couple of days ago so have added that to the tank. If it were to get worse I would consider meds but hopefully they'll improve with lower voltage now.

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Damn, that's unreal. Good info to share for sure. I will definitely stay tuned for updates. And I suspect that your GFCI was indeed tripping out due to the grounding issues in your home. While GFCI's can indeed have nuisance trips here and there, my guess is the same as what you suspect. Keep us posted.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
The electrician converted all 3 of the non-grounded fish rooms to have grounded outlets, will update on this and the outcome in a subsequent post but for now have a question...

One thing I found out was that the cheap analog multimeter I had been using (and dropped several times) was not giving correct readings. So I got a new one of that model (Sanwa knockoff) plus a cheap digital meter.

My house is 220v, the tank I'm using as an example (115g Flowerhorn) for readings below has only 2 things that are causing noticeable increases in the voltage, which are 2 X Jebao DCQ-3500 pumps.

I'm sure a stupid question for those knowledgeable but which setting should I be using below, 250/50/10 and which reading best tells me how many volts are actually in the tank:

1) Multimeter set on 25O: (25v??)

2) Multimeter set on 50: (5v??)

3) Multimeter set on 10: (1.9V??)

As a side note the digital multimeter came out to 1.6v set on 200:

Of course if it is only about 1.5v-2v, then nothing to worry about, but if it's 25v then I'm still concerned -- any clarification for this electro-dunce would be appreciated.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I run a grounding probe in my tank, my Jebao wavemakers were causing stray voltage.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I run a grounding probe in my tank, my Jebao wavemakers were causing stray voltage.
Yeah I might go that route in the future, problem is there are tons of smart people who say it's good, and tons of smart people who say it's not good, and I'm not smart enough to tell who's right :)

But first I need to increase my basic electrical knowledge, as it's ashamedly lame -- still wondering about how to correctly read my analog multimeter lol.

And yep, I think wave makers can be about the worst of stray voltage culprits, I guess not surprising given the minimal housing/insulation.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I believe that your digital multimeter would be correct.

On a side note, how could a grounding probe possibly be bad?

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I believe that your digital multimeter would be correct.

On a side note, how could a grounding probe possibly be bad?
Thx for the input on that Neil, so I guess at about 2v it really shouldn't be affecting my fish you think?

Regarding grounding probes, as per my admittedly very long OP, that's not really the focus of this thread -- there are several others on MFK in which people argue for both sides and a quick Google search will confirm same. And for sure I'm not the person to really answer your question, I just know I've seen plenty of people saying both. I was also watching quite a few YouTube videos, and there were more than a few licensed electricians expounding for both sides in the comments.

Also a lot of anti-ground probers quote this article, http://angel-strike.com/aquarium/GroundingProbes.html, though again I cannot personally attest the guy's position is correct. Others say that grounding probes are like band-aid fixes and just better to find out what's causing the problem and get rid of it.

Personally I lean toward your argument in those MFK threads mentioned above -- that they're safe/good if one has a proper GFCI unit in conjunction, but first I would need to get some good portable GFCI units, which aren't easy to find here, let alone quality/dependable ones. As a side note, the one I mentioned above: after checking closer I just noticed they sent me a 120v unit, not 220v, lol no wonder it got fried.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store