strong water flow for my discus

sushiray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
new windsor/cormwall, ny
just sharing my experience that sort of debunks that discus need slower calmer water flow since that's how it is in their natural habitat.

but thing is, most of discus we buy are home grown by breeders so they are never in the wild.

also, most are raised b-4 selling in tanks with sponge filters - so there they are in habitat w/o strong water flow - that is...

till they were put into my tank! with 2 - AC110's running & a sponge filter & air stone, my currents are very strong & yet...

my discus don't mind it - in fact when I feed flakes they all are so fast to scoop up the flakes when the AC water flow sinks them. in fact my discus swim upward into the down flowing water from the AC!!

funny to watch. but I guess when you're hungry you swim in anything!!

Reactions: Chadster72

DarkStorm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Calgary
what size of tank is this your using for the ac 110's? that your getting current.
curious cause I just set up a 125 or 130 and was suggested to do discus. but I prefere the higher flow canister filters (fx5's) to the ac110's

sushiray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
new windsor/cormwall, ny
DarkStorm;3626147; said:
what size of tank is this your using for the ac 110's? that your getting current.
curious cause I just set up a 125 or 130 and was suggested to do discus. but I prefere the higher flow canister filters (fx5's) to the ac110's
I use 2 AC110's in my 72g BF tank. the nice flow I get takes care of moving stuff around. 1 I use the extended tube which goes midway into the tank. the other I have a DIY extended pvc tube to the bottom in a tee (2 intake strainers) which does wonders in keeping my bare bottom clear!

I very much dislike canisters - ease of maintenance, the crud it can back wash in the tubing, & they cost way too much for my needs. the AC's are the best value HOB's & easy to maintain & has great water flow.

but if you have the $ to spend by all means - many suggest canisters but I sold my fluval cuz I was so disgusted using it.

so in my smaller tank having 2 AC110's does wonders for my discus.

I highly recommend since my discus do not mind at all - as evidenced come feeding time.

& like dogs, they are trained to stay in one area of the tank - top right cuz that's where I feed!

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
A little current won't hurt anything, as long as it's not so strong as to push the discus sideways. That would put unnecessary stress on the fish. I use airstones in sponge filters to keep the water stirred up, and it's fine.

sushiray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
new windsor/cormwall, ny
nikond70s;3628351; said:
i have strong currents too in my discus tank and they dont mind at all.

135g
2 eheim 2217
2 ac70
1 koralia hydor 3 powerhead
I do turn my DIY AC110 unit off upon feeding frozen foods, don't want it being sucked up when they fall to the bottom. I leave the mid level AC110 on the far left side on which continues the flow but not strong enough to circulate the frozen food from the far right. flakes yes but not the more solid foods.

fishyjoe26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
plano texas
I use a justable air pumps, that got a turn knob on them. I've got my 4 sponges on a air pump that is for a 30-90 gallon aquarium, and have it turned down. then when I need to get the water moving I turn the air pump up for 15-30 mins then turn it back down.

sushiray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
new windsor/cormwall, ny
just fed them flakes & with the water flow the flakes go all over, fun to watch them chase the flakes like it was live food! & a few swim up into the water flow!!

so seems ok to have stronger flow than normal!

Chadster72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
I'm running high flow with discus, 3 schools of tetras, 2 red tailed sharks. 1 pleco. Works awesome!!! Hydor 600. 6 air stones. 2750 gph current. And a penguin 150 on top for a biowheel. Fish are all super fast and eat a lot. Water levels are perfect. 100 gallon tank

20170906_180501.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store