Study: Nitrates and other parameters in Amazon waters

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
When I was working wholesale, the fish shipped from SA would come in at that low of ph. We would use muriatic acid to bring down the ph of the new arrival tanks and slowly bring them back up to the soft water sump aging tank water. Singapore shipments would also come with extremely low ph.

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
wow thats is very low PH, about the nitrates almost non existence is expected to to its a river with tons of plants.
most fish i have came from south america and looks like the PH in my tank almost doubled than where they came from?
technically my fish all should have died to due PH of too high :(

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
dayak;5162614;5162614 said:
wow thats is very low PH, about the nitrates almost non existence is expected to to its a river with tons of plants.
most fish i have came from south america and looks like the PH in my tank almost doubled than where they came from?
technically my fish all should have died to due PH of too high :(
Not at all. A lot of those rivers are essentially bare. In the waters where discus are caught, there are no plants to be seen. Nothing but sand and wood. Fish can adapt to a wide range of PH levels just fine. That's why people say a steady ph is better than trying to chase a certain number. No matter what you do you can never recreate those conditions. There are too many variables.

For example, discus come from water with very low ph and very low hardness/TDS. I can run RO/DI water to make it soft, but the ph will still be high. There's a lot of things that influence the water chemistry in the wild, which you simply can't provide in a fish tank.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Well, you have to keep in mind this applies to wild caught fish. The majority of SA fish are not wild caught, and have been raised their whole lives in a much higher ph. And even wild caught SA fish can thrive in a much higher ph. I think Jose was more interested in nitrates and probably TDS. I don't find it very surprising a river would have low nitrates, personally.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
aclockworkorange;5162638;5162638 said:
Well, you have to keep in mind this applies to wild caught fish. The majority of SA fish are not wild caught, and have been raised their whole lives in a much higher ph. And even wild caught SA fish can thrive in a much higher ph. I think Jose was more interested in nitrates and probably TDS. I don't find it very surprising a river would have low nitrates, personally.
You know, I can't even figure out the TDS levels ha! They measure everything in formats that I'm not used to seeing. All I know is mg/L and PPM :) I don't worry about ph because its' like chasing ghosts. Like I mentioned, I'm using RO/DI water. The water in tank is extremely soft (1-2 degrees KH/GH and TDS of 45-60ppm). Even with that, my ph is still in the mid 7s. What could it be? CO2 affecting my alkalinity? That can't be, because the RO water is aged and aerated for 24-48hrs before going in the tank. I could add acid to reach a certain ph number, but that could be potentially dangerous...

dayak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2010
sacramento
one of my SA is wild caught.
me too about nitrate non existence in the river, the water itself is different

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Would TDS be the sum of the FSS and CSS figures in the tables (Fine and Coarse Suspended Sediments)?

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
jcardona1;5162665; said:
All I know is mg/L and PPM :)
mg/L = ppm

Btw I wonder where all the nitrates go?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com