Stuffed full of food or should I be concerned?

mother monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2010
Atlanta/Tampa
That doesn't look good... seems very unnaturally swollen & bloated. Are the eyes bulging at all, too? Was it fine that day, and got bloated after eating? Or did you come home to find it this way? I've heard people use soft/deshelled peas as a relief for fish constipation, but have never tested this myself. It doesn't really look constipated though... hopefully it's just a little over-fed and will be fine! Good luck with your baby!

dzjr1188

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2011
allentown, pa
was he over feed ?

rayluc

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
mfk
Is this the one from petsmart? I got some from petsmart during their sale they ended up bloated like that and died within a day or two.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Poor guy didn't make it.. he was fine they whole day up to this point. I fed frozen mysis shrimp to all my fish like usual. This guy's always gotten his fill but last night was a bit shocking. He's swimming on sunshine now.. :cry:

And no I got this guy at a lfs not a petsmart.

Chromobotia

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Southeastern PA
Sorry for the loss of your loach.

I just want to make sure I understand this.

The loach in the picture was a loach you've had for a while? It wasn't a new pick up?

One day the loach was slimmer, the next all bloated?

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Yes, I got him about 2 months ago. He was usually plump with food after eating but never dangerously large. Yesterday morning he was fine roaming around a lot and around 10pm last night he looked like this breathing really fast on the bottom or the tank. Water parameters are all at 0 and I did a water change after I saw him like this.

Chromobotia

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Southeastern PA
What size was you loach? He looks quite large.

This is distressing to me as I have several large loaches (approx 7-8 inches) that have really bulked up this last year. These guys are so plump that I keep thinking that they need to go on a diet. I'm now wonder to myself if I need to change my loaches food.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
He's exactly 4". I've been feeding Massivore, Sinking Wafers and frozen Mysis Shrimp, all Hikari. One thought was that maybe it was a digestive thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store