Substrate for Rays

spryandspringy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
The Lone Star State!
Well, I hope you folks know what you're doing, as I just spent over $60.00 on sand -- mostly shipping. (Say that to anyone but an aquarist, and they'll think you're nuts!) I got the Estes Marine Sand in black. My future ray should be quite content. :grinno:

Crisroom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
USA
I first went with a 6X2X2 for my pair of motoros. Then placed them in a 4X2.5X18" to see if that would do. Much to my surprise it did. I am now expecting my 4th litter in about a week. The smaller tank seems to be working just fine. They will actually to laps in the tank. It's crazy to watch.

swhiting

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Houston, TX
Well I skimmed thru the posts so I hope I'm not repeating anything.
Hello fellow texan, at the zoo I have managed to get my motoros to breed, not too hard, right?
The adults are kept on regular Texblast, no problems. Do they need substrate? my opinion, no. Babies i believe should be kept on bare glass, they can easily ingest small pieces of sand or gravel.
Also we do have a display in another building with about 12 wild motoros on play sand and they seem to like it, when they burrow its pretty tough to see them sometimes.
I also have a pair of leopoldi, they are kept in a bare bottom tank with no problems. For the display gravel is sort of a given, but when caring for them behind the scenes I prefer no gravel with my rays.
As far as chemistry, we used well water, which is harder than tap, they do fine. Temps are kept around 77 to 80. Basically just feed them well and do plenty of water changes.

I mentioned we are both in Texas, well we have permits to allow us to keep these and other illegal animals, so if you can get them into the state, great, but just so you know, they are technically illegal to own in the state of Texas. It sucks but too many irresponsible people have been dumping their exotics in the US for too long and damn it if Texas doesn't get cold enough to kill them off in the wild.
Good luck! and keep us updated.

Tucc185

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
www.reef2rainforest.com
Just curious: would sand from a lake/pond bottom that had been well rinsed work well? I have used that estes stuff and personally I find it is more annoying than useful. It takes about 2 weeks just for it to settle down and stop congealing on the water's surface. Of course my experience is with salt tanks, it may fare a little better in FW, but that stuff clogged my filters for months. I have used lake bottom sand from NH with success in smaller tanks with fish like geophagus, which like conditions pretty similar to rays anyways. It doesnt seem to have an effect on pH at all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store