Substrate, or no substrate?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I prefer bare bottom for the main reasons others have stated -- but for sure they still take effort: nothing looks worse than a bare bare bottom with waste or left over fish food swirling around the bottom of the tank.

So to keep your tank looking nice you have to remove it, either automatically with filtration (and then be prepared to change/clean your filter floss/foam often) or take the time to siphon out the waste on a daily basis (which I do religiously because a) I'm borderline OCD about tank cleanliness and b) I don't have a sump like pacu mom or esoxluciusesoxlucius).

I do have a tile bottom on my 375, and certainly looks better than bare glass, but as Rocksor mentions it's inevitable you'll get some waste/detritus build up in cracks, corners etc. -- I can really only recommend tiles for lightly stocked tanks (I only have 2 younger fish in that 375 so not a big deal, nitrates stay pretty low).

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Bare bottom tank is easy to maintain but it doesn't look beautiful. I mean it does look good with the rocks and woods but not as good as with substrate in bottom. Usually discus keepers keep a bare bottom tank but I never like seeing a discus in a bare bottom tank. I would prefer looking at a school of discus swimming on top of some elegant substrate. Its a matter of choice (unless you have a fish that loves bare bottom tanks). In my opinion substrate is the way to go.

Reactions: johnnymax

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Ahh, monsters in the making.
Will you be updating us as they grow?

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Has anyone ever tried to grout the bottom with pebbles?

grout1.jpeg

grout2.jpeg

grout3.jpeg

grout4.jpeg

Just a thought. Here is a link to the source of the pictures.

Here is an example of some stone tiles sold at Lowes. They may look good on the back.

Wall.jpg

It may work better for a home built plywood tank.

Last edited:

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Update on going bear bottom:

I must admit I am loving it. Even with 20 messy Tilapia in the tank.
Once a day I turn on the two wave makers and it stirs up all the waste and my HOB filter sucks it up.
So far it has been a dream to maintain. I have never had it so easy.
:mwave:

Reactions: islandguy11

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I prefer the look of a sand or natural gravel substrate. Bare bottom tanks might be easier to maintain, but I don't like the look.

Reactions: johnnymax

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I prefer the look of a sand or natural gravel substrate. Bare bottom tanks might be easier to maintain, but I don't like the look.
I have always been that way myself. It was a big decision for me to even try it bare bottom.
Last weekend my daughter came over and the first thing she said was "Oh! I love your aquarium"
She has never commented on my aquariums. She is young 30's and a Gen-X'er.
I asked why she liked it and she said "Because it is so clean and minimalist."
Made my day, but I do like the look of substrate. Always have. This is new to me!

:cheers:

2019-09-15 08.25.28.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store