Substrate Recommendations for 240 Gallon Piraya Tank?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I am looking for recommendations on what substrate to use for my new tank. I am having a custom acrylic 240 gallon (96Lx24Wx24H) made and will be housing a single 12" Piraya Piranha. I am thinking of maybe using a black background but really want a natural look overall. I can't afford those custom 3D backgrounds at this point, as I'm already spending $7000 on everything (tank, fish, filters, decorations, equipment etc) which is majorly above my budget. I am thinking of putting in a tree stump decoration from Universal Rocks (https://www.universalrocks.com/fish/tree/stumps/ts-007) and some fake plants from Universal Rocks (https://www.universalrocks.com/fish/artificial-plants/ap-006).

I dislike those gravel (larger pebble) substrates and am thinking I may go with a 3mm sand or something like that but I really don't know too much about substrate so I'm looking for your ideas and recommendations on which one to use. I have a Python hose that I will be using to clean the substrate. Do you guys think I should go a lighter color or would that be a bad idea for Piranhas? Should I go black or something? Is sand a safe substrate for acrylic? I can;t have a substrate that will scratch. Please share your ideas!

Last edited:

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I am looking for recommendations on what substrate to use for my new tank. I am having a custom acrylic 240 gallon (96Lx24Wx24H) made and will be housing a single 12" Piraya Piranha. I am thinking of maybe using a black background but really want a natural look overall. I can't afford those custom 3D backgrounds at this point, as I'm already spending $7000 on everything which is majorly above my budget. I am thinking of putting in a tree stump decoration from Universal Rocks (https://www.universalrocks.com/fish/tree/stumps/ts-007) and some fake plants from Universal Rocks (https://www.universalrocks.com/fish/artificial-plants/ap-006).

I dislike those gravel (larger pebble) substrates and am thinking I may go with a 3mm sand or something like that but I really don't know too much about substrate so I'm looking for your ideas and recommendations on which one to use. I have a Python hose that I will be using to clean the substrate. Do you guys think I should go a lighter color or would that be a bad idea for Piranhas? Should I go black or something? Is sand a safe substrate for acrylic? I can;t have a substrate that will scratch. Please share your ideas!
I’m curious how you spent $7000 on your tank? I see 500-700g turnkey for less than $7000.00 brand new, great brand new equipments and some enough change for a bunch of new fishes. Did you build a room for your tank? Was it professionally installed in wall by ATM? I’m scratching my head how you spent $7,000 on a tank and still not have a decent light for plants... and some substrate and fake plants... shoot give me $7000 I’ll find you a brand new tank with stand and all the fake plants you want.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I’m curious how you spent $7000 on your tank? I see 500-700g turnkey for less than $7000.00 brand new, great brand new equipments and some enough change for a bunch of new fishes. Did you build a room for your tank? Was it professionally installed in wall by ATM? I’m scratching my head how you spent $7,000 on a tank and still not have a decent light for plants... and some substrate and fake plants... shoot give me $7000 I’ll find you a brand new tank with stand and all the fake plants you want.
The tank itself costs $3000, shipping is $500, two FX6's are $1000, I'm having a cabinet built for it for $500, with all the media, the fish itself, food and other equipment it comes out to about $6,600. The tank itself does not cost $7000 but everything all together pretty much does.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Also remember this is in Canadian dollars. Not US.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
The tank itself costs $3000, shipping is $500, two FX6's are $1000, I'm having a cabinet built for it for $500, with all the media, the fish itself and other equipment it comes out to about $6,600. The tank itself does not cost $7000 but everything all together pretty much does.
I would shoot my own head off if I spent $1000 on two FX6, especially considering they are only BRAND NEW for $259.99 in your country at any store, even cheaper if you buy it on sale. I don’t know where the hell youre finding these $500 dollar FX6. For $3000 that 240g better come with tank, stand, and the truck it came on. You do know how ridiculous you sound. What other equipments are you buying that’s around another $1000? You already not getting a decent light. I’m just trying to help you avoid getting scammed... or waste other people’s time. I can even link you up with Lepisosteus Lepisosteus . He can probably get you a 240g turn key for less than your overpriced FX6.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I would shoot my own head off if I spent $1000 on two FX6, especially considering they are only BRAND NEW for $259.99 in your country at any store, even cheaper if you buy it on sale. I don’t know where the hell youre finding these $500 dollar FX6. For $3000 that 240g better come with tank, stand, and the truck it came on. You do know how ridiculous you sound. What other equipments are you buying that’s around another $1000? You already not getting a decent light. I’m just trying to help you avoid getting scammed... or waste other people’s time. I can even link you up with Lepisosteus Lepisosteus . He can probably get you a 240g turn key for less than your overpriced FX6.
I've looked everywhere I can think of and amazon has the best price on the FX6's. Or rather the same best price.

I'm not sure where you are seeing them for $259. Maybe American but not Canadian. Not that I can find.

If you can find the things I'm looking for then by all means. I do need to save money where I can.

Remember I am buying acrylic and not glass. And it has to be acrylic. And the Canadian dollar is not strong at all nowadays. 1569473439943.png

P.S: I CORRECTED SOME OF MY PRICES.

Reactions: dr exum

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
And this is my introduction to the hobby. I'm very new so if I'm making mistakes please let me know. I just don't know where I would find an acrylic tank for less than $1000 and an FX6 for less than $500. Do remember this is in Canadian dollars. $1 US = $1.33 CAD.

I contacted numerous US companies and got quotes for around $2000. With shipping and everything, it would still end up being more expensive. But if you can find these things for cheaper, then again, by all means let me know.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Lepisosteus Lepisosteus Am I off on this or can you actually find a 240 gallon (96x24x24) for under $1000? Even under $2000. And are FX6's cheaper than what I am seeing? We both live in Ontario (I'm in Brockville) so I guess you'd know best. I'm only new, so this is all new to me.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
And this is my introduction to the hobby. I'm very new so if I'm making mistakes please let me know. I just don't know where I would find an acrylic tank for less than $1000 and an FX6 for less than $500. Do remember this is in Canadian dollars. $1 US = $1.33 CAD.

I contacted numerous US companies and got quotes for around $2000. With shipping and everything, it would still end up being more expensive. But if you can find these things for cheaper, then again, by all means let me know.
Sorry to come off rude sometimes I see these threads and I think wow! I tagged a member whose consider a acrylic god up in the 6.

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I've looked everywhere I can think of and amazon has the best price on the FX6's. Or rather the same best price.

I'm not sure where you are seeing them for $259. Maybe American but not Canadian. Not that I can find.

If you can find the things I'm looking for then by all means. I do need to save money where I can.

Remember I am buying acrylic and not glass. And it has to be acrylic. And the Canadian dollar is not strong at all nowadays. View attachment 1389617

P.S: I CORRECTED SOME OF MY PRICES.
Sorry you seem a legit guy, especially with that list. If I run across anything on that list I’ll tag you.

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store