Sucess! Fahaka and fire eel!

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Not necessarily, my fahaka is 16-18 inches and lives with a number of other cichlids (frontosa, oscars and salvini) which are smaller than it without any problems. Further more given that fahaka are river not lake fish they will never have met an African lake cichlid before.

fahakapuffpuffpass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2017
Not necessarily, my fahaka is 16-18 inches and lives with a number of other cichlids (frontosa, oscars and salvini) which are smaller than it without any problems. Further more given that fahaka are river not lake fish they will never have met an African lake cichlid before.
That's what I was thinking as well r.e. the environments of both fish. Who knows what will happen when mine gets bigger though, I've seen successes and failures alike on this site.

Would you mind posting a picture of your Fahaka Achilles1763? Would love to see one 16-18 inches :O. Will further motivate me to upgrade my tank for my little guy.

fahakapuffpuffpass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2017
Also I am entertained at the Salvini idea. I have one in my other tank and he is my most aggressive fish by far, so I'd need to wait until the Fahaka dwarfs him because I dont want my puffer getting attacked!

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I was being facetious not literal I'm sorry that was kinda ignorant sarcasm.
-Well they do meet them in the pet store sometimes and in the aquariums in homes, and when they do...It's usually simple math swimming bolt cutters + cichlid community= pink water sparkly with scales. It's really cool that you guys have gotten this to work but it's NOT typical at all. You get a little more warning with the fire eels because they're pretty resilient to bites and unless big enough to swallow a fahaka puffed up whole not a real puffer threat...but regular fish? One bite to the belly or gills and the experiment is over. Cichlids and large pleco's can also do that torpedo battering ram thing (mostly CA's)and it can really mess up a puffer that fails to get out of the way-

Last edited:
Reactions: Achilles1763

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I remember you saying your gt had its lower jaw removed by your puffer.
I don't think it's good to advise people to try things that frequently have dire consequences.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Fahakapuffpuffpass... everyone keeps saying that my fahaka will change when it grows up... but she is 3 years in the comm tank and and the only real issue is fish picking fights with her (the GT). So you never know! New pictures have been posted in my thread (fahaka in a community tank) so as not to derail too badly. Salvini are awesome.. total savages, my 3 incher is currently picking fights with my two 10+ inch oscars and winning! But he has no interest in the fahaka and she just bumbles around the tank in her own little world.

fahakapuffpuffpass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2017
Fahakapuffpuffpass... everyone keeps saying that my fahaka will change when it grows up... but she is 3 years in the comm tank and and the only real issue is fish picking fights with her (the GT). So you never know! New pictures have been posted in my thread (fahaka in a community tank) so as not to derail too badly. Salvini are awesome.. total savages, my 3 incher is currently picking fights with my two 10+ inch oscars and winning! But he has no interest in the fahaka and she just bumbles around the tank in her own little world.
Awesome, gonna check out your post now!

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Well that is my advise.. I feel it's balanced and reasonable. You will disagree and as previously stated I have no wish to argue the point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store