Suitable tank mates for fly river turtles.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I can personally attest to green aros and bichirs being bad tankmates. My FRT has killed or mutilated many slow "oddball" fish. The only things that survive are fast or small fish, like barbs, cichlids, rainbows, etc.

dodo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Canada
SimonL;3398379; said:
I can personally attest to green aros and bichirs being bad tankmates. My FRT has killed or mutilated many slow "oddball" fish. The only things that survive are fast or small fish, like barbs, cichlids, rainbows, etc.
How big is your FRT and what is the current tankmates?

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Cheetah;3397919; said:
I've got a red aro, a dozen discus, and a couple of rays.

No trouble so far, but everyone is still young with the exception of the discus.

I agree with the other posters though, keep expendable fish until you know whether you have a killer or a pussycat.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com
What kind of water are you using? Discus need the exact oposite kind of water flys need...

Cheetah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
Ph 8.0, temp in the mid 80's, little bit of salt.

Bought the discus full grown and acclimatized them over several months. Juvie discus would've stunted or bellied up.

dirtyblacksocks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Moreno Valley
coura;3402147; said:
What kind of water are you using? Discus need the exact oposite kind of water flys need...
Line bred strains of discus can handle just about any water parameters under 8.8 pH, I used to breed them for a living. :)

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Cheetah;3402809; said:
Ph 8.0, temp in the mid 80's, little bit of salt.

Bought the discus full grown and acclimatized them over several months. Juvie discus would've stunted or bellied up.

It should be fine even if its generaly not recomended, but final result should be really mind bogling, a fly gliding amoung malboro reds:D

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
I've kept (and keep) rainbows, giant danios, an endli, and a masheer with my FRT with no problems. I lucked out and got a very docile one.

soomboom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2011
new jersey
I have an adult w rainbows,congo tetras, clown loaches,some tetras and barbs all fast stuff but the frt is goofy and slow not a great predator he tries to bite the fish at nite time. If he wasnt fed well but hes never been succesful.I wouldnt put him in w anything expensive though

tanglovers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
My tank is 520 gallons (96" x 42" x 30"), I have a 10" FRT, 15 clown loaches (6-9" each), 13 geophagus tapajos, 2 uaru, 1 black arowana and 2 large (16-18" disc) marbled motoro rays. Everyone does great. About 1/2 the tank has some very large driftwood that allows the smaller fish a place to hide away from the rays and the FRT also likes to be in and amoung the wood.

Reactions: REDDEVILL1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store