Sump help needed

Andy in Stanton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2020
Hi all. Been recommended to ask on here apparently you guys can help.
I've kept fish for nearly 40 years but never had a sump. Just bought a second hand 800 litre/180 US gal tank plus 250 litre/55 US gal sump. The tank has two 55mm and one 34mm holes. The sump was designed for marine use but this will be freshwater, I keep Datnioides.
So this is where my knowledge ends, what would you guys do with it? I am happy to add more baffles to the sump or whatever is needed for best results? For the drain should I go Durso or Herbie or perhaps Bean Animal if the return is over the side?
Any help or ideas please?

Sump.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've kept fish for nearly 40 years but never had a sump. Just bought a second hand 800 litre/180 US gal tank plus 250 litre/55 US gal sump. The tank has two 55mm and one 34mm holes. The sump was designed for marine use but this will be freshwater, I keep Datnioides.
So this is where my knowledge ends, what would you guys do with it? I am happy to add more baffles to the sump or whatever is needed for best results? For the drain should I go Durso or Herbie or perhaps Bean Animal if the return is over the side?

View attachment 1420206
Welcome aboard

Tbh I have no experience with Herbie or Bean animal , Durso but know for sure the sump can be used for Freshwater. Most just keep Sumps simple and it will still be very efficient for filtration.

Reactions: Andy in Stanton

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC

View attachment 1420206
Welcome to MFK.
A picture of the hole configuration on the tank would help in advising which design may work best without modifications.
Myself, I prefer herbie or BA.
BA does add a bit more safety but a Herbie can be very safe and quiet as well.
So you may be able to plumb a herbie and use the other hole as a return.
Or go over the top with the return and set up a BA.
Looking at the sump it looks pretty standard.
What is compartment D used for? It looks as though the baffling goes all the way to the top for D.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
It looks like compartment d was setup as a auto top off. Water looks like it enters in compartment c. I would personally remove the baffle there to make it one compartment.
That was my first guess, but it looks to be a sealed chamber. Maybe it was rigged with a pump or siphon line?
I agree, it’s wasting space and should be removed.

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
A Andy in Stanton Do you have an idea of how you want to configure the sump?
What type mechanical and biological are you thinking?

Andy in Stanton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2020
A Andy in Stanton Do you have an idea of how you want to configure the sump?
What type mechanical and biological are you thinking?
To be honest I don't know. I am happy to take the baffles out and add more in different places so I really want to know what people recommend I should do? Section D was an auto top up reservoir, not sure if I will keep that. If I have a large bio section should I use undergravel filtration there to ensure the water passes over the media or is it better with small sections and baffles to force the water through? I have a reef roller I can use for mechanical and/or a section for foams?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
It looks like compartment d was setup as a auto top off. Water looks like it enters in compartment c. I would personally remove the baffle there to make it one compartment.
I think you are spot on with what D chamber was used for.

I may be the minority, but there is value in that chamber if the OP decides to use an ATO even for freshwater. Here's why: I'm OCD about Herbie or BA running as quiet as possible. When the sump water level evaporates (especially not having lids), the head pressure can vary which causes the pump to run differently. The ATO helps maintain water level longer in between manually topping off. In my experience the constant water level maintains the "exact" return rate. Not a big deal in some cases, but great if you want virtually silent in a living space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store