Sump question - GPH

Ofonléon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Hi guys,

I know that a one inch pipe will drain 600 gpg. So if i drill 2 one inch, that'll be 1200 GPH max? Because i bought a 220g aquarium with the plan to plumb it like this, but i want to turn the water at least 8x per hour (my pump is rated 1900 gph, will be tuned for 1760gph in this setup).

The video that that King of DIY posted of the plumbing of his 375 g just made me more confuse. He only drill 2 x 1 inch... Meaning he would only turn his tank 3.2 x per hour... Not really good no?

Anyhow, lol, shoul i go 2x 1,25 size pipe? What about the size for the return pump? Thx alot!

Sorry for my english, I'm french

Reactions: tlindsey

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I know that a one inch pipe will drain 600 gpg.
Not exactly. You have to consider:

1) is the pipe full siphon (no air enters the pipe from below the discharge point, i.e., the pipe is always 100% full of water.)

2) what is the roughness coefficient (friction loss) of the pipe. Concrete and cast iron are 100, steel 120, cement 140, copper and plastic 150.

3) what is the pipe length (longer pipe reduces flow speed)

4) what is the vertical drop of the pipe (longer vertical drop increases flow speed)

5) how much head has been added through bends, fittings, etc. More breaks and turns reduces flow speed.

A 24" pipe with a coefficient of 150 and a drop of 1.75" under full siphon will drain ~600 gph.
If it's not under full siphon it will be less, perhaps, considerably less. Otoh, making the drop 12" (full siphon, same other conditions) will increase the rate to 1,740 gph.

Last edited:
Reactions: kno4te

Ofonléon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Thanks alot, i will be reading on this! I was planing like a full underwater 1 inch plastic pipe and a 1 inci durso, also plastic. I dont really know right now for the lengh and elbows, but its gonna be pretty much straight forward. Ill be making a internal weir, with the pipes behind.

Ofonléon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Im confused... Reading different thing everywhere and getting misinformed i think. Anyway, just to make sure, would you go 2 x 1.25 pvc pipes overflow ? One stand and one durso. Can i over do it? Because all that i pretty much see on interent is bigger tank than maybe been plumb with only one overflow pipe about one inch... Sometimes less. Abd they all have like 2000 and more gph pumps. Something is wrong

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
This graph is an estimate.of what to expect. The 1st column would be gravity fed and the 2nd under full siphon.

GPHpipe.png

Like everyone else mentioned the full siphon (achieved by using a gate valve) will move much more water. No need to us a durso as well.

More importantly you need to size the emergency drains. Using 2 siphons and 1 e drain is a waste of effort as the ine e drain will nit be able to handle the flow in the event of a clog

Reactions: Drstrangelove

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Hiw many overflows are kn the tank ? Can you post pics ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store