Sump / Wet Dry next to aquarium instead of under the tank?

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has the knowledge on how I can have a sump or Wet dry filter next to the aquarium instead of under?

I am looking to get something around 300 - 350 gallon, the H would be either 24 or 30.

I want to have the tank sit on the floor instead of on a stand. Is there a way to do sump filtration or wet dry next to the tank?

Thank

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I put most of my sumps next to the tanks, instead of directly under.
One caveat...they must be lower than the main tank to make use of gravity.
Here's one from years ago, off set and about 1 ft lower than the surface of the main tank.

One currently set off to the side, I like them off to the side to provide easy access for maintenance.
655D41F9-C8DA-4F4D-B31C-DEF807DF942B_1_201_a.jpeg
Sumps can be behind a wall, in another room, even on a lower floor.
As long a gravity is taken into account.

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
So I would ask for a side overflow to drain into the sump and return the water with pump?

So if the tank is 24” tall, the overflow would be somewhere around 22”, then drill at 21” on the side if i have a 55 as a sump as example. Would that work or does the sump needs to be lower?
Hope I understood correctly.

Thanks

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
So I would ask for a side overflow to drain into the sump and return the water with pump?

So if the tank is 24” tall, the overflow would be somewhere around 22”, then drill at 21” on the side if i have a 55 as a sump as example. Would that work or does the sump needs to be lower?
Hope I understood correctly.

Thanks
Just a bulkhead in the side(or back) of each one with a pipe connecting them will work, the water will naturally stabilize at the same level.
Then just pump it from one to the other. You'd get a slight difference in water level just from resistance in the plumbing. It doesn't really matter if you pump it from sump to main tank or main tank to sump, it will flow back to the other one.

I'd probably go with pumping from the sump to the main tank, just to keep the pump out of the main tank.

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
I didn’t even thought of that, one more reason for me to go that route. Right now I am debating on going with Clear for Life 300 Uniquarium or a 350 with a side sump.

The 300 is 30 high and has builtin filtration but I lost some width, plus more expensive but no work needed, plug-n-play, looks cleaner.

The 350 is only 24 high but is 36 wide. Cost less and has more filtration capacity. But have to drill and install bullhead.

Hard choices

Eric1115

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2020
Multiple reasons, really.

1. Save $$ on stand
2. Door is small so hard to get stand in
3. My sofa is low, so all my current tanks with the stand, I have to look up.
4. All my vacuuming right now requires I use a ladder. Didn’t like that.
5. Just no one to help me carry these things into the house, so the less the easier.

I am sure there were some other reason I couldn’t think of right now. I was really hoping to get 36” deep and 36 w and 97 L but can’t fit through the door, so I have to go with one 24” either high or width.

Still figuring out all the options, so might still get a stand if other option doesn’t work.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I think your very last comment of "might still get a stand" is the way to go really. A large well maintained aquarium is a thing of beauty, a real focal point in a room. But dumping it on the floor? It's like having your tele on the floor instead of on a stand or wall mounted. You just shouldn't do it imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store