Super glue underwater

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I just got in some lace Java fern and Anubias barteri Nana and I want to attach them to a piece of driftwood in my tank... I would like to avoid using fishing line or zipties as I feel as though it would "bug" me lol so could I take the piece out and just super glue the plants in place? I'm not really sure how the glue would react underwater or when trying to attach 2 wet objects.

As of now I just have the plants floating around in the tank.. I wanted to get them in asap because shipping was delayed and weather was cold

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I'm not really sure how the glue would react underwater or when trying to attach 2 wet objects.
Super glue cures better in water than in air, almost instantly. The problem is that it leave white marks...that never dissolve..

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Superglue needs moisture to set by hydrolysis, so works perfectly underwater to glue plants or coral to rock. It’s non toxic, sold as liquid bandage in store, and used by surgeon for sewing wound. I have used it to glue fern, Anubias, Buce and even non epiphytes to rock. It sticks in 1 minute, but be careful not to glue your finger to object.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Leaves white marks on the wood? U shouldn't need much also right? Just a small dab to make sure the plant stays to give it time to attach itself properly?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Leaves white marks on the wood? U shouldn't need much also right? Just a small dab to make sure the plant stays to give it time to attach itself properly?
Well, anubias is not exactly a tile sort of object. It has a rhizome and roots, no flat surface to use, so one needs a bit more glue.....Try it :)

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Took a bit of trial and error but I think I got everything to finally stay in place... Had a few float back up I guess I didn't glue them well enough.IMAG0516.jpg

Reactions: Monsterkeeper870

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've often heard of people using super glue for plants such as anubias / buce etc to place them on rocks or wood...

So did you actually glue them while underwater or did you take the wood out before gluing?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I've often heard of people using super glue for plants such as anubias / buce etc to place them on rocks or wood...

So did you actually glue them while underwater or did you take the wood out before gluing?

I took the wood out to make things easier plus I didn't know if maybe the gel would float around if I happened to not get it all on the wood... Some plants came off so I did a water change and glued them back on when the water level was low enough

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Cool, was just curious coz im almost sure i've heard of people gluing plants underwater but just seemed sketchy...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store