Super red juvy?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
1K sounds about right. These types of "super" specimens is I believe where the term SRT comes in to play.

And Kolt, your speculation is pretty much bang on. Most of the lower quality RT's that show up in the hobby are first generation RT's, and are often the result of a female BP, and a male "texas". Many of those juvies never result in anything, some peel and look so-so, and maybe 1 out of thousands ends up red, or reddish, and is actually worth the name RT. Most are orangish, even if they do peel they never become truly red.

Lots of the imported RT's also do not turn out to be rock stars once they mature. Too many pearls (like my fish), or they become orange, not red, or they never fully fade or peel, with too much black showing. It's for this reason that I used to always recommend that people buy an RT that has already peeled, and is showing most of its full potential - vs spending a bunch of money on a 2-3" fish that is too young for most hobbyist to properly grade. Many turn out to be duds - of course the breeder or overseas vendor knows this.

I don't know how many people remember CJbarth, but several years ago he was breeding RT's, using a female RT (imported) and a male carpintis I believe. He produced a LOT of juvies, a few turned out very nice, one particular male was really nice as he matured, but unfortunately he too stayed orange. But CJ only charged $10 per fish as I recall.
Thanks for confirming RD. It was the only logical path I could see. You breed what you consider two good representatives of the traits you want. You grow that generation to a decent size and try and determine what are dominant, co-dominant and recessive traits. Whether you can or can't you at very least try and breed the best representatives of that generation to one another or other similarly aimed previous or current stock. Influx new blood as necessary to try and keep at bay any bad recessive genetics from making there way to the surface.

I'm not in anyway any good at genetics but from what I see it looks as though the pearls are a dominant trait and the coloration is co-dominant. Which is why from what I've seen the pearls always carry over suggesting a dominant trait, as does the color but to a lesser degree suggesting a perhaps co-dominant trait. Body shape I have no idea it might also be a co-dominant trait since it seems first generation tend to be different mixes between the two parents. Again I'm just speculating and I'm not even what I would consider a novice when it comes to genetics.

I've wanted to try a Red Texas project myself but I doubt I have the patience, money or skill to pull it off. Especially since who knows what's fertile and what's sterile in the market when it comes to Hybrids. I've heard some male BP's are but have yet t hear even a rumor about KKP's, SKKP's, RT's, SRT's and the various imitations out there. And as someone whose been shelling out money for higher quality hybrids lately it's an interesting coincidence or maybe not that what's available of high quality Hybrids available tend to be males. Perhaps like stingray and ball python breeders females are more likley to be held back by the owner. Another interesting thing I've noted is I see more Short Body RT's and SRT's that are of a high quality then their normal bodied counterparts.

I remember CJbarth. I always wanted to pick up some of his stock but they used to sell really fast. IMO his line would have been a great place to start for anyone trying to breed RT's and SRT's. Just shell out for a high quality RT or SRT and maybe a imitation Mammon or SKKP and Carpintis and cross the best of their fry back and forth. Probably would have had some decent specimens out of that in a couple of years.

Reactions: RD.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd ask this question here.
Would you call the fish in this video a RT, SRT, or a FH? Its owner, islandguy11 islandguy11 , calls it a King Kamfa 9.9, but says he doesn't really care.
Hope everyone and their fishes are well; haven’t posted in a while due to very busy with work etc.

But Drakaris is doing just fine: bigger, thicker, pearlier and angrier than ever (but ‘friendly’ and full of character if you stay outside the tank and don’t piss him off too much).

*Best watched in HD*

Another update is that the question of his lineage is (mostly) answered now. As some may remember when I first brought Drakaris home back in Sept. last year, I thought he was a Red Texas. However I was soon corrected by some much more knowledgeable than I that he is a Kamfa, which I’ve been calling him since.

Well it turns out we’re both kinda right – I finally persuaded the old fish shop owner I got him from to get on the horn with his (also old) breeder buddy outside of Bangkok to find out more about Drakaris. To make a long story short, we learned that it was his son who’s actually into breeding hybrids, and the answer we eventually got with some polite prying is that Drakaris is a “Kamfa + Red Texas hybrid (RTH) cross”.

Unsurprisingly he wouldn’t divulge more details about his parents or their specific lineage, but “Kamfa-RTH” is good enough for me -- you could call him “Strawberry Shortcake X Marshmallow-Cherry Pie” and I’d still dig him…

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd ask this question here.
Would you call the fish in this video a RT, SRT, or a FH? Its owner, islandguy11 islandguy11 , calls it a King Kamfa 9.9, but says he doesn't really care.
If I ever called Drakaris a King Kamfa 9.9 it was in error -- first of all it's just a marketing name. Secondly, strictly speaking he doesn't meet the 'standards' of a high classed, pure Kamfa (which the King Kamfa 9.9 moniker has become popular to describe -- his kok is too small and his tail fins are too long).

But he is a Kamfa, as @RD says (or more specifically a Kamfa-Red Texas hybrid (which is why he has a smaller head yet better pearling).

And I'll take him over any "King Kamfa 9.9" on the planet :) but of course it's just a personal (and biased) opinion. I got him a new tank recently, pix and vids coming soon, he's nearly a foot long now.

Reactions: J. H. and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store