Super white / white diamond stingray?

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Can someone shed some more light on swc?
Super White Cross? What does that actually mean a super white bred with something else?

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Can someone shed some more light on swc?
Super White Cross? What does that actually mean a super white bred with something else?
Its a hybrid. Superwhite is a hybrid ray but a bloodline. They take 1 superwhite and breed it to a bd normally.

Reactions: cigars

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
All hybrids. Nothing pure at all, neither SW nor WD (not that I care if a stingray is pure or not... but some people do).

Also, a big factor for those super huge insanely white spots is the way they are kept. In completely white and bright tanks. Put them - any SW or WD for that matter - in a dark tank, perhaps in a fully blacked out tank and you can literally watch the spots shrink slowly but surely.
Personally, I like their looks but I'd never ever buy one because I just simply do not want to keep them in a WTT (White Tank Treatment) as I find it ugly and I'm not gonna spend a sh*t load of money on a nice ray when I know he's gonna get uglier in a more naturalistic looking tank.

Animals, including rays, try to find ways to "camouflage" with their surroundings. Meaning, in a completely white and extremely bright tank, they'll give their best to get extremely white & bright. In a darker setup, they'll get darker. It's quite simple. Not that long ago, I have bought a pair of HET pearls. They were insanely bright in colour... not even 2 months later, they turned very dark in my setup (way darker than at the breeder's place).

What I find the worst is that some of those mega big spot rays, especially the breeders' mascots, are literally getting stunted by their owners because growing them at a normal rate would very likely (like almost 100% certainly) mean they'd get more black than white. But oh well, thats a completely new topic.

Last edited:

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
Sw is a bloodline that was created by line breeding several rays and out came what was called the first sw, a short tailed ray with big white spots. Since the creation only a few "true" superwhites have been created by the original breeder. Currently there is only two people breeding the true sw line if my knowledge serves correct.

I have true sw and swc available that can be confirmed by the actual breeders.

Below is a great example of a swc from a quality breeder. We have already sold this fish

received_412830749512547.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store