Suppliers selling LIES

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Sorry about the title but lol, couldn't help it

So, as I've visited lfs or even regular supermarkets that sell fish in a small section of the store, I've noticed that Iridescent sharks, aka Columbian sharks, are being sold as fish that only get to 11", and can be housed in 10 gallon tanks!

Honestly I'm a little appalled, and I feel bad for the people that buy these fish unknowingly, and I also feel terrible for the fish.

They get around 4 feet long and lose their iridescence. These fish are giants!

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Iridescent sharks and Columbian sharks are two totally different species.
Oh? I just thought 'iridescent' was a nickname for the columbian. Care to explain to me the difference? Every time I look it up it seems to be the same shark?

Either way, columbian sharks are sold falsely as smaller fish that can be kept in small-ish tanks, and I find that extremely cruel. I know those big time suppliers are just out for the money but still- its a travesty.

Reactions: tlindsey

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
The iridescent sharks are the 4 foot ones, then? I've just gotten myself confused lol

The iridescent sharks are being sold at a local walmart and I was shocked

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh? I just thought 'iridescent' was a nickname for the columbian. Care to explain to me the difference? Every time I look it up it seems to be the same shark?
Well,for one thing the iridescent shark is an Asian species and the Columbian shark catfish is a South or Central American fish that lives in brackish waters.They both look nothing alike at any stage of their lives and sadly very few of them in captivity live to reach anywhere near the sizes that they are capable of reaching in the wild waters.

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Well,for one thing the iridescent shark is an Asian species and the Columbian shark catfish is a South or Central American fish and lives in brackish waters.They both look nothing alike at any stage of their lives and sadly very few of them in captivity live to reach anywhere near the sizes that they are capable of reaching in the wild waters.
So sorry for the mix up! It's late, lol. But yeah I've looked at some of the links now

The Columbian shark was being sold as a 'black finned shark' that doesnt grow past 8 inches

The Iridescent shark was being sold with the 'only gets to 11" and can be housed in a 10 gal'

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store