Support you LFS........... or else!

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
I got a call from the manager of our LFS last night. I thought perhaps my Electric Blue JD had come in. Turns out they're going out of business. In a few minutes I'm going to be able to buy all the fish I want for pennies on the dollar. While it's a great deal, there's a major price being paid. I loved our LFS. It was five minutes from my house, and I drive by it every day on my way to and from work. I've referred several of my friends to it. I've spent over $1,000 there in the last year. I've done my part to sing it's praises. Yet, they're going under. It's sad, and it sucks. I understand the way businesses work, but just for once I'd like to see the little guy come out on top. More and more I see the Mom and Pop places falling by the wayside. A hobby that is ruled by the big box stores is a hobby I want no part of. There were a few times where I went to the PetCo that's even closer than the LFS. Usually for food, or on Sunday when the LFS was closed. I guess in the end every last penny counts. The people who own the LFS are good people, and the manager I consider a friend. It sucks to see so many people in this world who work hard and are honest, decent people get trampled, while there are others who are just straight up A-holes who are making a killing. Sorry for the rant. Just needed to get that out. Support your LFS. You're the only thing keeping them in business.

rickkoehler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Western NY
Truth!

Very well put, sorry about the store going out.

Rick

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I too have seen it happen, and in my line of business, it happens alot. I work for a pet supply distributer, and we have seen our share of "mom & pops" go under because of the larger stores taking over. There is no way they can compete with them. With our stores, the dog & cat food is a big problem. The Mills, and the Farm & Fleets can buy in mass quantities, and get a much better price, while our smaller stores struggle to meet their minimums because their customers have left them for the cheeper priced foods. I, for one, hate it. We get all the complaints, and there is not a damn thing we can do for them either.
Sorry, had to vent......

Jen ;)

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
fsc46 said:
Are they closing because of money? Or are they retiring? Maybe a few people can get together to buy it from them if it's the latter. Sorry to hear the news.
Nah, they're in their late 30's. The worst part is they were *THIS* close to turning a profit. I guess 5 years of losing money gets to you after a while.

So here's what I've got so far......

1x Brown African Knife
1x Salvini
1x Uaru
1x Firemouth
5x Yoyo loach

all for the bargain basement price of $20. Great deal, but it still is sad. I'm going back in an hour or so to see what else I might be interested in.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
one fo my LFS also closed down recently although i still get morio worms as his wife has a job at a local fish distributor.
they went bust too the LFS trade seems to be a dying for some reason

syclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
South Dakota
I agree about supporting the lfs, where i live the nearest one is 50 miles away. Dosen't seem like that big a deal until you need something, then have to drive almost an hour to get there, if your like me and don't like to drive it just sucks. I do what I can, but the last time I was in they were talking about selling/quiting. i hope they don't but what can you do. its this damn internet thing, wal-mart, the blame can be placed in alot of directions.

hewhorunswithscissors

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
California
RIPTIDE Aquatics in Roseville? or some other LFS here in Roseville? If its Riptide, its to bad but they made some mistakes and their FW fish, depsite having good prices, are of very questionable quality. I feel they don't do good maintenance on their FW tanks and it stresses the fish. A lot of sickly fish. THere are things they could have done different (but good prices and nice folks). They have been open for 17 months. I picked up $195 in fish the other day for $84 including tax Best deal was 7 Bahia Red geos for 99 cents each !! And 3 red bay snook for 4.49 each. NICE.

ANyway, if its not riptide, then what store??

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
In the past 10 years the vast majority of the pet stores within 100 miles of my house have gone under.Its sad when the petsmart has the best selection

Nate77

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2006
Manheim PA
hi im a new been lurking for a few days. it blows when your LFS goes under the one i used to go to sold a year ago and the new owners ran it into the ground havent found another shop in the area that i like

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store