Surface fishing for carpWhat

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Title was a error. I will be fishing in the south of France and one of the rivers have carp that only take off the surface as that’s what they’re fed. My reel for my surface rod is broken so I’m going to use my lure reel which I have used before on the rod and it works great. The only problem is that it has braid on it which floats, will that be obvious to fish and just put them off. I could put mono on from the controller float to the hook which will be about 4-6 feet long, or will the braid work fine. I don’t want to take the braid off the reel so it will have to stay on. What should I do, any suggestions would be really appreciated.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Braid should be more than fine...i used to fish for carp alot in my teens... 50lb braid with float or sinker. Fly fishing is also a popular choice for carp these days where the line backing floats and is alot more noticable than braid. I like your idea for a trace using mono/flouro. should do the trick.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Braid should be more than fine...i used to fish for carp alot in my teens... 50lb braid with float or sinker. Fly fishing is also a popular choice for carp these days where the line backing floats and is alot more noticable than braid. I like your idea for a trace using mono/flouro. should do the trick.
That’s great to know thanks

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I use 8 lb mono for carp.
Hint: if the fish are eating pellets than mix pellets in with floating bread or marshmallow

Reactions: Bertie07

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I use 8 lb mono for carp.
Hint: if the fish are eating pellets than mix pellets in with floating bread or marshmallow
I use bread there mostly but never heard of using marshmallows, never thought about but they’re like a soft pop up. Do they stay on the hook well

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I use bread there mostly but never heard of using marshmallows, never thought about but they’re like a soft pop up. Do they stay on the hook well
They stay on the hook very well (att least the mini ones, but need flavoring for best result, flavor whatever bait you use with garlic and vanilla extract

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
I never tie braid straight to my lure. I always do a fluerocarbon leader of 4-6 ft tied with a blood knot from braid to leader. Fluero floats better than mono and is supposed to be less visible, and has less stretch than mono.
I started fly fishing for carp about 9 years ago. I grew up in the fishing/fly fishing industry, and I am fortunate enough to have the ability to field test equipment before it hits the market thanks to my dad who reps and develops fly fishing equipment.
My wife was pregnant with with our first kid, and I didn't want to go too far from home to throw big streamers for trout, so I thought "shoot, I'll go close to home and catch carp on the fly."
Much, MUCH easier said than done.
The lowly carp, that most people think are dumb and easy to catch because they catch them with bait, is a sketchy and formidable opponent on a fly rod! It was a very humbling experience, and made a somewhat cocky flyfisherman have to go back to square one and learn these fish. I spent more time observing than fishing, and had to approach them completely different than trout, bass, panfish and predators. My casting had to become much more accurate and effective. Carp are spooky, have great eyesight, and are fairly intelligent (as far as fish go). Did I mention spooky?
I can go on and on about what I learned and continue to learn, but I will say this: fly fishing for carp has made me a much more effective fisherman in all aspects of fishing for all species. And not just fly fishing!
Have fun, and good luck!
Josh

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I never tie braid straight to my lure. I always do a fluerocarbon leader of 4-6 ft tied with a blood knot from braid to leader. Fluero floats better than mono and is supposed to be less visible, and has less stretch than mono.
I started fly fishing for carp about 9 years ago. I grew up in the fishing/fly fishing industry, and I am fortunate enough to have the ability to field test equipment before it hits the market thanks to my dad who reps and develops fly fishing equipment.
My wife was pregnant with with our first kid, and I didn't want to go too far from home to throw big streamers for trout, so I thought "shoot, I'll go close to home and catch carp on the fly."
The lowly carp, that most people think are dumb and easy to catch because they catch them with bait, is a sketchy and formidable opponent on a fly rod! It was a very humbling experience, and made a somewhat cocky flyfisherman have to go back to square one and learn these fish. I spent more time observing than fishing, and had to approach them completely different than trout, bass, panfish and predators. My casting had to become much more accurate and effective. Carp are spooky, have great eyesight, and are fairly intelligent (as far as fish go). Did I mention spooky?
I can go on and on about what I learned and continue to learn, but I will say this: fly fishing for carp has made me a much more effective fisherman in all aspects of fishing for all species. And not just fly fishing!
Have fun, and good luck!
Josh
Carp are smart and learn quickly, they'll inspect things for hooks, can be line shy, and spook pretty easy

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Have fun, and good luck!
Josh
I will try fly fishing in the future as near me there is great fly fishing areas but don’t have the money right now and don’t want to spend lots of money on gear that I may only use once but I think after hearing that I will have to try it

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store