Surface fishing for carpWhat

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I never tie braid straight to my lure. I always do a fluerocarbon leader of 4-6 ft tied with a blood knot from braid to leader. Fluero floats better than mono and is supposed to be less visible, and has less stretch than mono.
I started fly fishing for carp about 9 years ago. I grew up in the fishing/fly fishing industry, and I am fortunate enough to have the ability to field test equipment before it hits the market thanks to my dad who reps and develops fly fishing equipment.
My wife was pregnant with with our first kid, and I didn't want to go too far from home to throw big streamers for trout, so I thought "shoot, I'll go close to home and catch carp on the fly."
Much, MUCH easier said than done.
The lowly carp, that most people think are dumb and easy to catch because they catch them with bait, is a sketchy and formidable opponent on a fly rod! It was a very humbling experience, and made a somewhat cocky flyfisherman have to go back to square one and learn these fish. I spent more time observing than fishing, and had to approach them completely different than trout, bass, panfish and predators. My casting had to become much more accurate and effective. Carp are spooky, have great eyesight, and are fairly intelligent (as far as fish go). Did I mention spooky?
I can go on and on about what I learned and continue to learn, but I will say this: fly fishing for carp has made me a much more effective fisherman in all aspects of fishing for all species. And not just fly fishing!
Have fun, and good luck!
Josh
Also what size flourocarbon would you recommend, I have some 14lb mainline spare that could work I think but it may be sinking though. I always put vasaline on the line anyway to keep it afloat. Would that keep sinking line afloat

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I never tie braid straight to my lure. I always do a fluerocarbon leader of 4-6 ft tied with a blood knot from braid to leader. Fluero floats better than mono and is supposed to be less visible, and has less stretch than mono.
I started fly fishing for carp about 9 years ago. I grew up in the fishing/fly fishing industry, and I am fortunate enough to have the ability to field test equipment before it hits the market thanks to my dad who reps and develops fly fishing equipment.
My wife was pregnant with with our first kid, and I didn't want to go too far from home to throw big streamers for trout, so I thought "shoot, I'll go close to home and catch carp on the fly."
Much, MUCH easier said than done.
The lowly carp, that most people think are dumb and easy to catch because they catch them with bait, is a sketchy and formidable opponent on a fly rod! It was a very humbling experience, and made a somewhat cocky flyfisherman have to go back to square one and learn these fish. I spent more time observing than fishing, and had to approach them completely different than trout, bass, panfish and predators. My casting had to become much more accurate and effective. Carp are spooky, have great eyesight, and are fairly intelligent (as far as fish go). Did I mention spooky?
I can go on and on about what I learned and continue to learn, but I will say this: fly fishing for carp has made me a much more effective fisherman in all aspects of fishing for all species. And not just fly fishing!
Have fun, and good luck!
Josh
Also what size flourocarbon would you recommend, I have some 14lb mainline spare that could work I think but it may be sinking though. I always put vasaline on the line anyway to keep it afloat. Would that keep sinking line afloat

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
If you are using a floating bait, leader sink should be almost inconsequential. I wouldn't put vaseline on it; they sell a product called Gink that is a floatant for flies. But, your leader floating on the surface isn't as important imo.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
If you are using a floating bait, leader sink should be almost inconsequential. I wouldn't put vaseline on it; they sell a product called Gink that is a floatant for flies. But, your leader floating on the surface isn't as important imo.
Okay thanks

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Sorry, I didn't answer the size of fleuro question.
14lb should be sufficiant. I use 2X tippet, which is about 10lb strength. Your 14lb line is more than sufficient, as long as it's not too thick of a diameter to make it stiff.
As long as your line is healthy and your knots are strong, your breaking strength will be much higher than the line's rating. Fight the fish appropriately and set your drag right and you will be able to land massive carp with aplomb!
Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store