Swirl filter with bean animal overflow + sump?

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Im looking into mechanical filtration for my 700 gallon build. I have had good experience with a diy swirl filter in my outdoor koi pond and wanted to try and integrate this type of filtration into my 200 gallon sump. However, I would also really like to use a bean animal type overflow to reduce the noise as much as possible.
However, I am unsure whether the plumbing would work out.
My thought is to have the two 2" siphons from the external overflow to the swirl filter and then have the swirl filter overflow into the sump. However, I am not sure if this will actually maintain a full siphon will this plumbing set up. Basic schematic below to describe what I'm talking about swirl filter.jpg

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
And by swirl filter, I also mean settling tank. Don't know what its most commonly known as.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Im using the same setup in my 800 gallon set up....but with simple drilled bulk heads coming out the main tank. You should be fine as long as you u put the drain which goes to the sump higher up . From the overflow u want that pipe extended almost towards the middle of the swirl filter. Make sure u add a drain line on the bottom to flush the swirl during a water change

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Im using the same setup in my 800 gallon set up....but with simple drilled bulk heads coming out the main tank. You should be fine as long as you u put the drain which goes to the sump higher up . From the overflow u want that pipe extended almost towards the middle of the swirl filter. Make sure u add a drain line on the bottom to flush the swirl during a water change
What type and size of container are you using for your settling tank? Would you happen to have any pictures or videos of your filtration set up? And how much flow are you putting through your system?

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Im running around 6000 gallons per hour on two pumps and the tower is a 5ft tall hex aquarium i think 40 gallons which then goes into a 200 gallon sump....im out of town right now but ill look thru the phone and might have an old pic when i was setting it up

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Found a pic of the tank i used for the tower...it was a old novelty goldfish tank with a clock on it

20200208_203519.jpg

vincel892

Exodon
MFK Member
May 20, 2019
Im running around 6000 gallons per hour on two pumps and the tower is a 5ft tall hex aquarium i think 40 gallons which then goes into a 200 gallon sump....im out of town right now but ill look thru the phone and might have an old pic when i was setting it up
Is that 6000 gph per pump or total ? and man, that is an interesting tank lol. Can't wrap my head around the direction of water flow based on that picture.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Total is about 6000....running two 4000 gph at about 75%.....assume its around 6000gph....the right side return line is around 13 ft line at 3ft head....actually i made a typo its 900 gallon..tank is 16ft by 3 wide by 30 inches tall

Reactions: jcarson

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Tall cyllinder tanks work best for radial flow...mines isnt exactly a cyllinder but close enuff lol. I have a upside down flower pot in radial intake to force the debris down towards the botton

Reactions: jcarson
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store