synodontis id?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
just though i'd throw it out there, my syno, obtained in 11/2008 is still alive & doing well at 13 years old
Thank you for this and congrats on this major achievement.

Let me ask the obvious on everybody's mind: what species has it turned out to be? I am pretty sure no way the very expensive, very rare, and very coveted longirostris. Sounds like a decorus from the description.

Sand

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Clearwater FL USA
Wow! That’s great to hear!
Thanks, I had a 65 long acrylic made for him a couple of years ago (from Midwest Custom Aquarium) & I obtained a wife for him several years ago. He is like a puppy, comes out when he sees me, eats from my hand and goes into my palm when I feed him Or clean the tank, sometimes I just stick my hand in there to pet him. He truly likes me and knows who I am. He wouldn’t come out of his cave to eat for the spouse when I was gone for several days recently. Gotta love all the creatures , he is the one on top in the pic5C27B91C-1D79-4001-AC0D-CEB724FCEF9C.jpeg

Sand

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Clearwater FL USA
Thank you for this and congrats on this major achievement.

Let me ask the obvious on everybody's mind: what species has it turned out to be? I am pretty sure no way the very expensive, very rare, and very coveted longirostris. Sounds like a decorus from the description.
Great question, who the heck knows! Not me! Eupterus I always figured, but what do I know! Both of them have darkened up a lot in their
old age

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for these. This is not a species I recognize as a genuine one. I am guessing hybrid but I am not an expert on the greatly recently expanded synodontis genus.

_Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2012
LA
I would suggest a nice looking hybrid (possibly ocellifer x eupterus) however the synodontis group keeps expanding finding new local “river” varieties and colorations.
Eupterus would not have just bold spots at that age.
I have both ocelifer & eupterus in the same tank. the Ocelifer has shorter fins, and longer stretchy body.
The eupterus in my experience will have bigger dots on the females, and when they're smaller size body.

Here are some of pics, sorry for the glare. I keep them outside.

20210519_154037.jpg

20210519_154833.jpg

This one is full of eggs.
20210519_154757.jpg

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If your supposed eupterus started as juveniles with spots then you don’t have eupterus. Eupterus start as squiggly pattern, only changing to spots as sub adults when the dorsal fin rays extend too. If your eupterus only has a single extension also then it’s not eupterus.
In both cases you would probably have ansorgii, which does start life spotted and tends not to have multiple dorsal fin extensions. Also has a slightly larger eye than eupterus. Both are very easily confused.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store