Tank mates for geophagus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Are those your fish? I just want the ones with the most colour and active. Tank mates can wait till I fine the sort of geos I want
They were mine (I moved recently and had to give all away).
They 2nd and 4th shots are Acaraichthys heckelli, a warm water species from northern SouthAmerica, any reasonably sized tetras, or S American cichlids would be decent tank mates.
The 1st, and 3rd shots are Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys "yerbalito", and Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys "sp Paso Pache", both from Uruguay, and require a cool down, and really don't need a heater at all. Buenos Aires tetras, Uruguayan corys and other Uruguayan cichlids would make good tank mates, or if you did't care about being geographically correct, white clouds, or high altitude Mexican live bearers could work.
I've kept Xenatoca eiseni with the Gymno species such as balzani without problems.

Stedz2121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
I would need a heater in England lol. Iv been offer some geophagus megasema anyone kept these?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
For the Geos you mention above, a heater would be required.
For Gymnogeophagus you wouldn't need one inside in England.
Mine tolerated tmps down to less than 10'C (high 40s'F) without a problem.
Where I lived in Milwaukee, winter temps easily dropped below -28'C, and I kept my Gymnos in a kiddy pool on the floor of an unheated basement.

Reactions: Ulu

Stedz2121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
Wow I love your them. Iv just called my pet store and they only have geophagus surinamensis but not many left so would have to reserve them. So thought I'd ask on here first how many to reserve? For my 220g
I will be having a school of around 30/40 small fish some sort of tetra. Around 10 Corys that are fully grown from my 55g.
How many to reserve?

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Can i get a geophagus idk what type for a tank mate for my 7 inch silver arowana

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Can i get a geophagus idk what type for a tank mate for my 7 inch silver arowana

How large is the aquarium?
What is your ph? Some Geophagus are very susceptible to HITH if kept in very hard water. But to answer your question a large growing species of Geophagus could be fine with a Silver Arowana.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What is your ph? Some Geophagus are very susceptible to HITH if kept in very hard water. But to answer your question a large growing species of Geophagus could be fine with a Silver Arowana.

Most Geophagus do better in a group.

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Hey my aquarium is 5x2x2 ft. Ill be upgrading after my arowana gets big enough,i also have a datnoid of 5 inches and a pair of silver dollars. Idk if my water is hard or soft have no idea about that. I have found geophagus tapajos 'red head' in my LFS. It is onyl about 3 inches. Shall i or shall i not get him?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey my aquarium is 5x2x2 ft. Ill be upgrading after my arowana gets big enough,i also have a datnoid of 5 inches and a pair of silver dollars. Idk if my water is hard or soft have no idea about that. I have found geophagus tapajos 'red head' in my LFS. It is onyl about 3 inches. Shall i or shall i not get him?

Pass on the Redhead Tapajos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store