Tank size for the leopoldi black diamond stingray?

Ashton Turner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2021
Hello everyone, i was just wondering what is the perfect and minimum sized aquarium for a Leopoldi?
And what about a leo X moto?
I hope everyone is keeping well!

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hello everyone, i was just wondering what is the perfect and minimum sized aquarium for a Leopoldi?
And what about a leo X moto?
I hope everyone is keeping well!
Welcome to mfk.

8x4x2 would be your typical minimum tank size for these guys. Bigger is always better but this would give them many good years

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It would be the same idea for the hybrid.

growth rate typically depends on diet, water quality, tank size etc.

I would say typical for those types of rays would be roughly 12-16” disc within a year or two then slower after that. But there are always exceptions to those rules.

I have a trio that were born same day and are all 3 very different sizes. (Not the same sp. just an example)

Ashton Turner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2021
ok thanks, how long would i be able to keep a Leo or a leo X moto in a 6.5 by 2.5 by 2 foot aquarium?
(as a grow out)

Ashton Turner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2021
what about the mantillas, ive heard they get a to a decent size but not as large as the leo or moto?
what size tank would your recommend as a grow out and for life?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Depending on your filtration you might get a few years in a tank that size.

put it this way, I have 2 rays that are roughly 12-14” each in a 8x3 300g tub and the tub is getting pretty small for them. There isn’t much room to get away from each other when they are not getting along.

one of these rays is 2 years old and the other is only 1 yo.

I dont have much experience with mantilla tbh but it won’t be much different really. The bigger you can go, the better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store