Tank size question

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi guys, just wondering if I would be ok with this size tank for a while - or indefinitely ?
98cm x 38cm x 48, about 200l. (50gal)
Pics below -
I have:
two polyptrus senegalus, (just about full grown and a little under 25cm each)
One upside down catfish
One bumblee catfish
Two butterfly plecos
17 tiger barbs approx
Mbuna - about 8
Livingstonii - 4
Other Africans I'm not sure of exactly - 3

I got a large separate bio filter, two power head filters in tank, pothos for my Aquaphonics and all the plants are live plants - the fish don't touch the Java fern, sometimes nibble to Anubis types I think they are called. But that's why I put them in. The Java has grown really well and spread to all the wood - started from just two small plants. I leave Algae growing on the back and sides of the tank for grazing.
There is no aggression between all these fish - just The occasional lazy chase.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi guys, just wondering if I would be ok with this size tank for a while - or indefinitely ?
98cm x 38cm x 48, about 200l. (50gal)
Pics below -
I have:
two polyptrus senegalus, (just about full grown and a little under 25cm each)
One upside down catfish
One bumblee catfish
Two butterfly plecos
17 tiger barbs approx
Mbuna - about 8
Livingstonii - 4
Other Africans I'm not sure of exactly - 3

I got a large separate bio filter, two power head filters in tank, pothos for my Aquaphonics and all the plants are live plants - the fish don't touch the Java fern, sometimes nibble to Anubis types I think they are called. But that's why I put them in. The Java has grown really well and spread to all the wood - started from just two small plants. I leave Algae growing on the back and sides of the tank for grazing.
There is no aggression between all these fish - just The occasional lazy chase.

View attachment 1176436

View attachment 1176437

View attachment 1176438

View attachment 1176439
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
might get a 6 months to a year out of it.....I can see some nasty mbuna/haps in there and they will get aggressive as they grow. The Venestus alone are known for being killers, but that big blue Pseudotropheus (Kenyi? or Lomabardi?) is gonna rule the tank soon....and if i'm not mistken, you have a pair of them, plus any of those 3+ Yellow Labs can pair up or form a harem and take over. That's a lot of problems and I didn't even go over the red zebras and other stuff yet.

Good luck. You're gonna need it

EDIT: Venestus = Livingstonii, closely related.....I misread

Last edited:

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
i know the livinigstonii get fairly large - what size tank would you recommend for them ? An extra foot in length ? Or maybe a 500 liter 5 ft tank?
I was offered a young butterkoferi the other day too- but I know that would be mean disaster now -if I got the 5ft would this be an option ?

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
You have some very aggressive fish in a too small of a tank. The Africans cichlid should really be in their own tank. I would say 75g for the mbunas and a 125g for the nibochromis livingstonii. I had a pair of nibochromis venustus in a 125 and they wrecked havoc in there. Once they start breeding you're gonna have dead tiger barbs.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
i know the livinigstonii get fairly large - what size tank would you recommend for them ? An extra foot in length ? Or maybe a 500 liter 5 ft tank?
I was offered a young butterkoferi the other day too- but I know that would be mean disaster now -if I got the 5ft would this be an option ?
I was told 4ft minimum for Mbuna awhile back, but these guys say 6ft now. Venustus are savages, Bro...they get pretty big too, a good 8'' probably
You have some very aggressive fish in a too small of a tank. The Africans cichlid should really be in their own tank. I would say 75g for the mbunas and a 125g for the nibochromis livingstonii. I had a pair of nibochromis venustus in a 125 and they wrecked havoc in there. Once they start breeding you're gonna have dead tiger barbs.
Yea......he really did pick out some of the nastiest Mbuna out there....Nimbochromis are not known for baking their neighbors cookies. Kenyi are pretty psychotic too

Reactions: fishnatics

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Haha, ok - so cookie baking is out the question. the tiger barbs I don't mind getting rid off, I got them cause I like watching fish shoal and school. I got the Mbuna fry last year October, they were small enough too (and half did) get eaten by the tiger barbs. So even though there is no aggression at the moment, I give them another month before there will be scales and fins everywhere? The 500 litre (125gal) is the way to go then like in the next few weeks.
what about this butterkoferi ? I have always loved the look of these fish. He is about the same size as the other guys now - could I add him to the larger tank?

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Haha, ok - so cookie baking is out the question. the tiger barbs I don't mind getting rid off, I got them cause I like watching fish shoal and school. I got the Mbuna fry last year October, they were small enough too (and half did) get eaten by the tiger barbs. So even though there is no aggression at the moment, I give them another month before there will be scales and fins everywhere? The 500 litre (125gal) is the way to go then like in the next few weeks.
what about this butterkoferi ? I have always loved the look of these fish. He is about the same size as the other guys now - could I add him to the larger tank?
Buttis are probably the nastiest of the bunch and would really need the 125 solo.

Reactions: fishnatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store