Tank Size Recommendations

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
I think it would be good for you guys, and this site if we could make our own similar set of data. I know there is a small group of die hards in this section, but there are also a lot of people passing through.
Agreed, But since Em is already working on the Species Profiles. I think this thread should just be about Recommended Tank Sizes.

Like I said in my previous post - I can share the basic tank size formulas we use over at SRC. That would give us a base line to start with.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Okay here's the basic tank size formulas I've use for SRC's profiles.

Inactive Benthics - Tank/pond length = 3 x shark's length, Tank/Pond Width = 1.5 x shark's length.

Walking Benthics - Tank/Pond length = 3.5 x shark's length, Tank/pond Width = 1.5 x shark's length.

Active Benthics - Tank/Pond length = 4 x shark's length, Tank/pond width = 1.5 x shark's length.

Note - Active Benthic formula is based off the formula used in "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.

Non-ORV Swimming - Tank/Pond Length = 5.5-6 x Shark's length, Tank/pond Width = 2.5-3 x Shark's Length.

Reef ORV Swimming - Tank/Pond Length = 7-7.5 x Shark's length, Tank/Pond Width = 3 x Shark's Length.

Coastal ORV Swimming - Tank/Pond Length = 8-9 x Shark's Length, Tank/Pond Width = 4 x Shark's Length.

Tank figures for Swimming sharks are based on combination of several sources include Elasmobranch Husbandry Manual, and small to medium sized Public Aquariums.

Also note that increasing the number of sharks in a tank will alter the amount of space needed for the group.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
We should add a rule:

If you ask what the minimum size it for any given shark, you probably aren't going to do it right.

Jabba954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Bay Area
Zoodiver;5045548; said:
We should add a rule:

If you ask what the minimum size it for any given shark, you probably aren't going to do it right.
+1 - there's my new sig.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
krj-1168;5045430; said:
Okay here's the basic tank size formulas I've use for SRC's profiles.

Inactive Benthics - Tank/pond length = 3 x shark's length, Tank/Pond Width = 1.5 x shark's length.

Walking Benthics - Tank/Pond length = 3.5 x shark's length, Tank/pond Width = 1.5 x shark's length.

Active Benthics - Tank/Pond length = 4 x shark's length, Tank/pond width = 1.5 x shark's length.

Note - Active Benthic formula is based off the formula used in "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.

Non-ORV Swimming - Tank/Pond Length = 5.5-6 x Shark's length, Tank/pond Width = 2.5-3 x Shark's Length.

Reef ORV Swimming - Tank/Pond Length = 7-7.5 x Shark's length, Tank/Pond Width = 3 x Shark's Length.

Coastal ORV Swimming - Tank/Pond Length = 8-9 x Shark's Length, Tank/Pond Width = 4 x Shark's Length.

Tank figures for Swimming sharks are based on combination of several sources include Elasmobranch Husbandry Manual, and small to medium sized Public Aquariums.

Also note that increasing the number of sharks in a tank will alter the amount of space needed for the group.
This is now going more in the direction I wanted it to...what does everyone think about these numbers? Lets have some conversation on that, and if we can all work out a set we agree on, then I will quote this, and edit it into the first post.

Zoodiver;5045548; said:
We should add a rule:

Better that they ask, then dont and do it completely wrong.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I would say those numbers are ok for young and 'private aquarium' size sharks. For large /adults it might be pushing it.

Disclaimer: I have nurse sharks in mind when saying that - probably because I was around them all day. I just don't see a 10-12' shark fitting into something that is 40'x15' (Or 48' x 18') very well long term. I see our adults swimming a LOT, especially now that the water is warming up. At 82*F, I'd say they are up and free swimming 40% of the time or more.

zabam21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Homestead FL
Zoodiver;5045548; said:
We should add a rule:

Hey, if I didnt ask I was going to go by the dimensions on live aquaria and probably had a very un bamboo. Thanks to you all I purchased a much more suitable tank.

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
Zoodiver;5046727; said:
I would say those numbers are ok for young and 'private aquarium' size sharks. For large /adults it might be pushing it.

Disclaimer: I have nurse sharks in mind when saying that - probably because I was around them all day. I just don't see a 10-12' shark fitting into something that is 40'x15' (Or 48' x 18') very well long term. I see our adults swimming a LOT, especially now that the water is warming up. At 82*F, I'd say they are up and free swimming 40% of the time or more.
I agree with you on this and thats why I was thinking you really can't use a general formula on this stuff. Every species is different and tank size should be based on the particular species. (I know Em is work on profile's) I am just playing devils advocate here but you can't tell me that the same formula works for a spiny dog vs smooth hound or a lemon vs white tip reef. Do to activity levels the sharks are far too different and the numbers really don't work.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Well then lets start with some of the more commonly kept stuff in aquaria.

I would agree that a 12' shark in a 40'x15' tank seems a little narrow, I would probably like to get something that was at least 20' in width. As a general rule with active fish I feel it needs to be twice width, and at least 4x length of the adult fish...again...this is coming from someone who has never kept a large shark. This is just me speaking as a fish person.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC

Actually in looking at my base figures (on SRC) for minimum tank size for a single adult Nurse Shark - the figure is more like Pond length= 4 x Shark's Length, and the Pond width is = 2x shark's Length got all the Nurse Shark species. The baseline for Comon Nurse - I used was a 10ft Nurse Shark - since you rarely see a Common Nurse larger than 10 ft in captivity.

But I definitely agree if a Nurse has more space available they will use it. I've notice on my visits to the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores - that the Nurse Sharks in their Living Shipwreck exhibit (their 306,000 gallon Shark Tank) will sometimes swim the entire perimeter of the exhibit. The Nurse Sharks appear to by young adults (about 7-8 ft). And the Living Shipwreck exhibit is roughly 66 ft long x 44 ft wide. But then the tank also has a Sand Tiger Shark & several Sandbars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store