Tanks and solar

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah lets see where this goes. I knownfor a fact my neighbor's were looking at a substantial monthly savings. I still skeptical too but at the time i was too busy to really get involved. Even if it were 30k more than half would be paid for upfront with the rebates
Xracer check pms

Would be nice to hear from some members that are on solar.....yo !

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
Solar is very affordable for heating your water. A small system can do wonders for your propane or natural gas usage. This is a different application from what you are talking about, but might provide more savings. Also, very cheap.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Solar is very affordable for heating your water. A small system can do wonders for your propane or natural gas usage. This is a different application from what you are talking about, but might provide more savings. Also, very cheap.
Care to elaborate ?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
You can use a solar panel to heat glycol which water passes over and it will heat your water, it can get to 190 degree's and then there are mixing valves, etc. My dad has this set-up for his main water heater for the house. There is also a propane component for at night, or on cloudy days. Yet for most of the year (we live at 5200 feet in northern Arizona) he uses no propane to heat the water in the house. Some people use these to heat their floors with water in tubes in concrete floors. I'm not sure of the model number, but he bought the system, very reasonable. It has been working now for 12 years.

People in China, Africa, Southeast Asia, use small solar panels to heat water because electricity and gas are in short supply. It has revolutionized hot water in very poor parts of China. If people in Ethiopia can afford this (been there, seen it in person) then you can afford it also.

Just a thought. Worth looking into.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
You can use a solar panel to heat glycol which water passes over and it will heat your water, it can get to 190 degree's and then there are mixing valves, etc. My dad has this set-up for his main water heater for the house. There is also a propane component for at night, or on cloudy days. Yet for most of the year (we live at 5200 feet in northern Arizona) he uses no propane to heat the water in the house. Some people use these to heat their floors with water in tubes in concrete floors. I'm not sure of the model number, but he bought the system, very reasonable. It has been working now for 12 years.

People in China, Africa, Southeast Asia, use small solar panels to heat water because electricity and gas are in short supply. It has revolutionized hot water in very poor parts of China. If people in Ethiopia can afford this (been there, seen it in person) then you can afford it also.

Ahhh ok I understand. That is not exactly a solar panel. Those are actually big heat exchanging panels. (if we are talking about the same thing) no electricity is used at all.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

My father in law has been using this for quite some time now. I've thought about using this myself but it would be a major project running pipes from the roof down to the basement that I've never really considered it.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Here in canada if you have solar panels on your roof and there is a fire in the house they will let it burn,100 percent lose of everything you own. There is no way to shut off the solar panels from creating energy so to not put fire fighters at risk of dieing they let it burn and just keep it controled from spreading to other buildings

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Here in canada if you have solar panels on your roof and there is a fire in the house they will let it burn,100 percent lose of everything you own. There is no way to shut off the solar panels from creating energy so to not put fire fighters at risk of dieing they let it burn and just keep it controled from spreading to other buildings
dang!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Damn man....good point im gonna bring that up with the rep next week

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
They might not tell you the truth. Call your local fire department they will give you a straight answer.
Just thought all of you might want to know that, I am assuming that if you are going to be putting solar panels up to run your fish tanks and house that you own a little more then a 125 gallon tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store