tap water ok?

diverbh4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
Boston, MA
do you guys treat your water before putting it in the tank (tap water)...besides temp?
I have an RO/DI unit from keeping SW tanks and am wondering if I would need to use that or could I just warm up my tap water and put that into a tank.

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Aquarium conditioner is needed in order to remove chlorines, chloramines, ect. I suggest using Prime.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
You don't need to RO/DI your water. Rays do well under a range of conditions - and need lots of large water changes so you'd be spending the earth treating water for no reason. Just deal with chlorine/chloramine and you should be good to go.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
no need to even heat the water

drain the tank down 25% at tap water conditioner to the main tank then fill from the hose job done

diverbh4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
Boston, MA
thanks for the info. i have kept FW fish in the past and just used water conditioners but I wasn't sure what the rays needed.

fargokid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Fargo
I have a side question. I can get DI water free in large quantities. Would it be alright to use this or should i treat my tap water?

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
skylineiz;4124152; said:
from what i know, DI water is lower in essential minerals that are essential for fish,
so i would be sticking to tap water.

can someone confirm this?

Confirmed. Also low or zero buffering.

I have to buffer my tap water because otherwise the low Kh lets the pH crash due to the amount of biological filtration going on in my ray tanks. With RO or DI water maintaining pH will become much more difficult.

No idea why anyone would want to lug large quantities of water around to perform the kinda water changes you need to be doing in a ray tank.

elisuwe

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
england, wiltshire
When i put the taps on full all the chlorine is removed :p so my water changes are easy haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store