Tap water VR filtered water?

i Aqua

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
Nov 20, 2020
Valencia California
www.iaquacarbon.com
As I am getting ready to set up my new tank i bought 2 years ago and getting ready slowly what i will need to set up my African Cichlid tank. I am not sure if it is 350 or 500gl yet, i bought it for $500 so i never cared to question regardless. Question popped in my head, my house water is filtered you can shower and drink the water same time that is how clean our water is lol So!!Question is, can i use filtered water for my African cichlid tank set up or use garden water that is not filtered to kill the plants?>

tank3.jpg

tank1.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
If the filtration system softens the water. Not good for African Cichlids.
They require hard water with an elevated PH of at least 7.8 - 8.2.
Might be a good idea to construct a limestone hardscape & use the garden hose to fill the tank.

i Aqua

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
Nov 20, 2020
Valencia California
www.iaquacarbon.com
If the filtration system softens the water. Not good for African Cichlids.
They require hard water with an elevated PH of at least 7.8 - 8.2.
Might be a good idea to construct a limestone hardscape & use the garden hose to fill the tank.
i though about that as well

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Can you post what type or brand of filter you are using for the whole house? Most times it is just a sediment filter but some people also use some type of carbon.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As I am getting ready to set up my new tank i bought 2 years ago and getting ready slowly what i will need to set up my African Cichlid tank. I am not sure if it is 350 or 500gl yet, i bought it for $500 so i never cared to question regardless. Question popped in my head, my house water is filtered you can shower and drink the water same time that is how clean our water is lol So!!Question is, can i use filtered water for my African cichlid tank set up or use garden water that is not filtered to kill the plants?>

View attachment 1440393

View attachment 1440394
Welcome aboard

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
we are using Colligan water filter for the whole house
Just to be clear, is this only a water filter that is changed periodically? Do you know what kind of cartridge is in the filter?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
OK! Also ask if you have any other equipment that they service in your home besides the water filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store