Teeny Tank Ideas?

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hey guys. I recently found these 2 nano tanks on the curb for freeeee! Someone's poor giant pleco and goldfish must have died... RIP in peace :eek:. They seem like they are walmart mini tank kits. I think I found the links to the correct ones here. The big one has pretty cool pimp lights:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Bu...ium-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/16940357#about-item
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Koller-Pet-Group-KP35000-180-View-Led-Aquarium-3.-5-Gallon/43445034

I have the filtration and lighting figured out, it will be from some whisper 3i's I have sitting on my empty 10 right now since no filters were included (funny they were the same as in the kits haha), they will share an old air pump until I can get new ones. I will modify the intakes so little dudes can't get sucked in. The light spectrum on the white setting on the LED with the bigger tank seems like it is daylight, for the other tank a home depot light will be clamped on top. I will be using live plants for sure since they are so teeny.

I have seen some really cool nano paludariums, not sure how to pull that off though. Both are only a foot tall so I'm thinking at least on the small one to have plants out of the top. What type of foam and glue would I need to be able to make some sort of shelf system with? I was thinking of building around the 3i filter somehow with access to it for cleaning. What about paints and sealants? Could I pull it off with rock stacks maybe? Also, they are lucite containers it looks like, they have some decent scratches. Anyone know how I can easily remove them? I don't really care too much but I do want them to look good if I can get rid of some scuffs haha.

Any ideas on fish that would be able to fit in these if I can get a stable cycle going? I would prefer not having a heater since I need to save on my power bill. I was thinking maybe a dwarf crayfish and some shrimpies with ramshorns from my 20 might be good if there's not enough space for white clouds or whatever. Any thoughts on no filtration and just water changes? That actually would be optimal if I can get away with a huge amount of pothos or something stuffed in there.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The only suggestion I had was a Beta or Dwarf African clawed frogs but only if you used a heater, and I noticed your not.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I plan to put 4 Dario Darios in my new Marineland 4g tank. They're similar to cichlids, as far as personality and color, and do well in small tanks.

From what I've read, they require frozen foods, like mysis or blood worms. It's a little extra work than the average nano fish, but I believe it's worth it.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Haha yeah I did think of those guys. Way back in the day I was thinking a pair would look good in my old 5 gallon. Hmmm.

I was also thinking the smaller one could be a slug terrarium. I keep finding them in my side yard after the rains. Would be a good way to get rid of veggie scraps and give my fish some extra noms too if they lay eggs lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store