The best sand?

Red tail catking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
The white padded room
coura;1859731; said:
Buddys bearded dragons constantly flick their tongues and that makes them particulary at risk. Small dirt particules if they cant be spited out will be ingested and small rocks can not only make serious inpaction but also shoke a animal. Why do you think that pellets for bearded dragons have such sucess? Because they are quite inquisitive animals and anything new will be inspected even if is quite diferent from a natural food sorce. I can live with the fact that some people use sand because a lot of people aparently use it with no harm effects (even if there are documented cases of impaction in wich sand was involved ,even one that happened to a friend of mine). But small rocks?! I mean I have a image in book that shows a young beardy trying to eat a pebble. Thats is just asking for trouble. Also dont forget that in their natural habitat animals are in a constant battle for survival and there is litle time for thinking about eating the substrate (some especulate that animals that do this kind of thing do it by boredom;)) In the wild there´s always something for them to nible on. Its also possible that because beardys have been bred in captivity for so many generations now, some of their old survival skills have been lost:confused: Also dont forget that this thing of beardys being terrestrial just like blue tongue skinks,always living on the ground is a thing of captivity made out of misconseptions. On the wild beardys live on the dry bushy savana of the out back but not directly on the sand for most of the time. They are constantly climbing large rocks, follen tree logs and even on kind of high trees. This means that they are not as well prepared to deal with sand say like torny devils;)
So now your saying don't use sand? Oh, I'm so confused. :confused: :nilly:

phantoms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
wisconsin
coura;1859731; said:
Buddys bearded dragons constantly flick their tongues and that makes them particulary at risk. Small dirt particules if they cant be spited out will be ingested and small rocks can not only make serious inpaction but also shoke a animal. Why do you think that pellets for bearded dragons have such sucess? Because they are quite inquisitive animals and anything new will be inspected even if is quite diferent from a natural food sorce. I can live with the fact that some people use sand because a lot of people aparently use it with no harm effects (even if there are documented cases of impaction in wich sand was involved ,even one that happened to a friend of mine). But small rocks?! I mean I have a image in book that shows a young beardy trying to eat a pebble. Thats is just asking for trouble. Also dont forget that in their natural habitat animals are in a constant battle for survival and there is litle time for thinking about eating the substrate (some especulate that animals that do this kind of thing do it by boredom;)) In the wild there´s always something for them to nible on. Its also possible that because beardys have been bred in captivity for so many generations now, some of their old survival skills have been lost:confused: Also dont forget that this thing of beardys being terrestrial just like blue tongue skinks,always living on the ground is a thing of captivity made out of misconseptions. On the wild beardys live on the dry bushy savana of the out back but not directly on the sand for most of the time. They are constantly climbing large rocks, follen tree logs and even on kind of high trees. This means that they are not as well prepared to deal with sand say like torny devils;)

so what you are saying is that beardies in captivity since they dont have to worry about survival just decide to eat mouthfulls of sand and rocks? :ROFL:

animals that have a deficency in vitamins or calcium are the ones that do this. again, if you have a healthy animal then you have nothing to worry about.

phantoms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
wisconsin
Red tail catking;1860855; said:
How come its only the unhealthy ones?
accidents happen, but if your lizard is going around trying to eat things it shouldnt then there is something wrong with your husbandry. ive heard of impaction from play sand, calci sand, moss, dirt, wood chips, paper towel, cypress mulch..........and so on. anything can cause it! accidents happen!!!! but the point is that no one thing is a sure fire way to cause impaction. thats just silly.

varanio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
Pam Pam Pam
phantoms;1860892; said:
accidents happen, but if your lizard is going around trying to eat things it shouldnt then there is something wrong with your husbandry. ive heard of impaction from play sand, calci sand, moss, dirt, wood chips, paper towel, cypress mulch..........and so on. anything can cause it! accidents happen!!!! but the point is that no one thing is a sure fire way to cause impaction. thats just silly.
I agree with you 100% accidents happen and thats part of the hobby, move on and keep going is the best way to deal with it. Its like those paranoid parents that dont let their kids go outside to play because they will get germs, scrapes, bugbites etc.... point is LET THEM LIVE!!!

Shark_Bait

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2006
New Zealand
coura;1859731; said:
I Don't know if you have ever been to Australia, but I have and I can assure you it is not covered in dead reptiles.....

My brother uses plain old sand for his Beardie and it is fine.

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
Tylervsmith;1857895; said:
If you DO use play sand, put it through a net first, so that all the rocks that are not super small get pulled out, so that it is a pure sand, that is very very very small.
ya forgot to mention that one

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
Sic_Maggot13;1860899; said:
i have used sand and my bearded is almost 8 years old...

this is what i use...

http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...zOjE6IjAiO3M6ODoiU2VhcmNoX3kiO3M6MToiMCI7fQ==
just liuke calco sand
this is 5 times worse than play sand if injested
its sharp
so it would die quicker if injested
but this goes to show if his hasnt gotten injested for 8 years nothing can happen
especially with play sand
and playsand is 50 pounds for 4 dollars
when the calci and vita sands are 10 bucks for a 3 pound bag
play sand in my opinion is the best

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store