The Big Cichlid Hybrid Example Thread (Load Warning)

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Jaguar cichlid (Parachromis managuensis) X Nicaragua cichlid (Hypsophrys nicaraguensis)

These were accidentally bred by a friend and few were raised to about a few inches. They were culled soon after this picture was taken. The father was the nic. My friend said they resembled nics but had the markings more like juvenile jags.

160708 010resize.jpg

160708 010resize.jpg

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Convict cichlid (Amatitlania nigrofasciata) x Blood parrot cichlid

These fish I bred myself a long time ago (I stumbled across this pic of mine being used on someones blog). The father fish was a short bodied pink convict (sometimes given the incorrect name of jellybean parrot) and the mother was a typical BP. The strange thing with this was that every time the parrots bred, the con would always try and hassle them. I always just thought he wanted to eat the eggs but to my surprise, he actually nipped in and fertilised the eggs while the parrots were fending other fish off. I pulled the eggs and got about 30-40 wrigglers. Most of the resulting fish looked much like chunky convicts with a lot of them having a greenish brown tone. One very large male was nearly black and white. There were a few runty parrot shaped ones that resembled the father fish (not pink though) and these never really thrived. The fish I have posted here was the only one to show any orange. Had I kept it for longer it may have faded, what do you think?

View attachment 1031276

The fish below is a faded pink con x BP that an old forum friend of mine bred. I forgot these existed until I looked through old pictures.

updatedfeb06011.jpg

With one of it's siblings (also pretty crazy looking).

updatedfeb06009.jpg

updatedfeb06009.jpg

updatedfeb06011.jpg

Reactions: J. H.

Runninamok

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
NY
After reading the hybridization thread that any CA Cichlid can potentially produce viable fry with any other CA cichlid it's surprising there are no Jack Dempsey X Red Devil hybrids out there. Has anyone attempted a Red Dempsey yet?

Xeno

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Germany
Hey,
I couldn´t find any pics of HRP x Cutteri .
I´m keeping both species in 300 litres and about 2 month ago the most dominante Cutteri male und HRP female started breeding although there are enough potential ´partners´of their own species (10 Cutteris and 4 HRP) .
Now the fry is growing up quickly .
The "bars" are a mixture of Cutteri and HRP ,I´ll upload some pics if they´ve got their color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store