The Biotope Challenge

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I need a rules calrification,

I have an amazon tank with only amazon plants/stock and really everything in the tank can be found in Columbia, but not in the same place in Columbia. How stringently are you defining biotope?

Noa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
Michigan
Just as a side note, Darth Scohin, your tank is quite similar to mine. I have a Senegal Bichir, a Featherfin Synondontis, and Leopard Ctenopoma on the way. I work at a pet shop and the Leopards I ordered for myself are TINY! So, they are chilling out by themselves at the shop until they get big enough for my tank.

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
30G Rio Huallaga, Peru - Creek/Ditch Biotope
- 20x20x20" Rimless/Braceless Glass Cube (10mm)
- Grey ADA Style Stand w/ Cubelock Light Mount
- Eheim Classic 2215 w/ JBL Micromec + Standard Media to CAL Aqua Lily Pipes
- 150W 6500K Halide
- Heated by a Hydor ETH 200W Inline Heater

3x Apistogramma baenschi "Inka 50" (1M 2F)
10x Nannostomus marginatus "Dwarf Pencilfish"
5x Otocinclus sp. (Not biotope specific)

Scaped off of these photos from Martin and Tom's Dwarf Page.

50G Rio Tapajos, Brazil - Flooded Woodland Biotope
- 3x18x18" Glass
- Eheim Professional 2228 w/ Standard Media
- 2x39W 6500K Hagen GLO Lighting
- Heated by a Hydor ETH 200W Inline Heater

5x Dicrossus maculatus "Spadetail Checkerboard Cichlid" (1M 4F)
9x Hyphessobrycon heliacus "Kitty Tetra"
5x Otocinclus sp.

It's cleared up now. Scaped and stocked from photographs and video. For the sake of it, here's some screencaps from the AquaNetTV video.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Whenever I start thinking how awesome a chunk of the Orinoco drainage would look in my livingroom, I just imagine the mucky fluff seen in the above biotope and ask myself, "Self, how in the world could you siphon that?" Then I wonder about the dissolved organic solid content and remember the sawdust hell that was my panaque experience. I have to ask, "How do you do it?" And. really, what does three hours of maintaining a beautiful biotope like that, complete with leaf litter and dust, look like? How do you separate the poo from the dust, sand and leaf fragments? Why don't your fish jump out of those open tops? It never adds up in my mind and I give up before I start.

I have a Peru Oscar and a handful of big raphaels that I think would be a good start, but the mess scares me.

Mr. Rain Cloud

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
30G Rio Huallaga, Peru - Creek/Ditch Biotope

50G Rio Tapajos, Brazil - Flooded Woodland Biotope

Wow! That's amazing!

Well here's my attempt at a biotope, not nearly as detailed as some though. Excuse the equipment :D

IMG_2050x.JPG
There's not much tannins on this recent picture since I only dose it with alder cones every first week of the month and this was taken at the last week of June... I would dress it up more for a contest of course but I'm not sure how accurate mine is hahaha :)

P.S. Lee would definitely be a top contender: New Cichlid Magazine

IMG_2050x.JPG

KareemSaid

Feeder Fish
Apr 10, 2013
United Kingdom
Here's a good response. Now, let us's take a look at If thenwe can do to get a Moderator set foot in. There are What are therecommendations? With can not be helped, princess, I but agree with the you sayof the everything. Even if it is a win, we in the freshwater do not have theopportunity to two. I said that the, its as high as give everyone voting thatthe pier,,. He Let to hear it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store