The care guide to paddlefish

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Ok so I decided to do a care guide on paddlefish, which is a fairly misunderstood fish and not for novices, do something wrong and they don't get sick,they just die!

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Diet: can be pellet trained,but primarily a filter feeder, so enjoys small live animals like brine shrimp,mysis,daphnia etc.

May possibly accept powdered foods.

Make sure they aren't outcompeted by other fish,be sure they eat enough, or they die!

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Space and housing: paddlefish will not pass metal objects due to it bothering their receptors, this means no metal under the tank or pond,no rebar,no metal stands,no wires.

Paddlefish need lots of space, they must constantly swim, or they die, expect your paddlefish to get around 4-6 feet long, I cannot stress enough: they need space!
Or they die!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tempature: probably the easiest part about paddlefish is they tolerate most temps well,great news for those who wish to keep them in outdoor ponds.

Keep in mind they like clean oxygenated water,or they die.!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tankmates: since paddlefish aren't much into hunting tankmates you can keep a variety of fish with them, when adults their large size keeps them from being casually bullied, possible tankmates include:
Koi,muskie,most catfish such as blue catfish or redtail catfish,arowana, gar,barramundi,knifefish,datnoids,sunfish,shiners,any black bass,striped bass,white bass,hybrid striped bass,sturgeon,walleye,goldfish,silver dollars,pacu,adult paddlefish can be housed with most cichlids

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
You forgot to put "or they die" for that last one.

Just kidding. Very cool. I didnt know we could keep paddle fish, being a threatened species. Or are they endangered now? I'll have to google it now. Is that one you need to check your local laws before you buy?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
You forgot to put "or they die" for that last one.

Just kidding. Very cool. I didnt know we could keep paddle fish, being a threatened species. Or are they endangered now? I'll have to google it now. Is that one you need to check your local laws before you buy?
Think most states allow paddlefish, the ones offered for sale are from hatcheries, several friends of mine used to fish for them during paddlefish season, you could keep 2 a year in Missouri

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Think most states allow paddlefish, the ones offered for sale are from hatcheries, several friends of mine used to fish for them during paddlefish season, you could keep 2 a year in Missouri
I looked it up. Their conservation status is at vulnerable. A very weird and cool fish to be sure.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
A few vendors have brought them in here and there over the years......neet looking fish but I have never tried keeping one.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I kept several of them for three years, great fish, really need a pond or large vat, some called "dinks" are available from some sources and seem to stay less than 12" but still require a very large tank. They are far more predatory that many people think, mine fed prolifically on minnows, often herding them together into what resembled a bait ball and lung feeding into the ball. They also ate small sunfish and occasionally tried to swallow each other. They are kind misleading in their predatory behavior. They swim around seeming to ignore small fish like sunfish and soon the sunfish stop reacting to the paddlefish only to be scooped up in a pass that is very quick. Mine ate small crayfish and live shrimp, somehow managing to eat them after dark. They do eat floating pellets and raise a lot of hell at the surface as they scoop them up. Great fish if you have very large tanks, vats or pools to keep them in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store