The care guide to paddlefish

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I kept several of them for three years, great fish, really need a pond or large vat, some called "dinks" are available from some sources and seem to stay less than 12" but still require a very large tank. They are far more predatory that many people think, mine fed prolifically on minnows, often herding them together into what resembled a bait ball and lung feeding into the ball. They also ate small sunfish and occasionally tried to swallow each other. They are kind misleading in their predatory behavior. They swim around seeming to ignore small fish like sunfish and soon the sunfish stop reacting to the paddlefish only to be scooped up in a pass that is very quick. Mine ate small crayfish and live shrimp, somehow managing to eat them after dark. They do eat floating pellets and raise a lot of hell at the surface as they scoop them up. Great fish if you have very large tanks, vats or pools to keep them in.
Surprised they eat crayfish, I wonder how they manage that? And yes captive individuals will often take fish, likely because of a shortage of plankton.

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I kept several of them for three years, great fish, really need a pond or large vat, some called "dinks" are available from some sources and seem to stay less than 12" but still require a very large tank. They are far more predatory that many people think, mine fed prolifically on minnows, often herding them together into what resembled a bait ball and lung feeding into the ball. They also ate small sunfish and occasionally tried to swallow each other. They are kind misleading in their predatory behavior. They swim around seeming to ignore small fish like sunfish and soon the sunfish stop reacting to the paddlefish only to be scooped up in a pass that is very quick. Mine ate small crayfish and live shrimp, somehow managing to eat them after dark. They do eat floating pellets and raise a lot of hell at the surface as they scoop them up. Great fish if you have very large tanks, vats or pools to keep them in.
Surprised they eat crayfish, I wonder how they manage that? And yes captive individuals will often take fish, likely because of a shortage of plankton.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Zooplankton, free floating animals , usually under a half inch
I've seen them eat live minnows in the 3" and up range, they pretty much swallow anything that doesn't get out of the way. I fed mine gambusia, life shrimp, small crayfish and floating pellets since I was growing large amounts of daphnia magna at the times i fed the fingerlings daphnia but they still picked off small sunfish and tetras from time to time.

mariafuller

Feeder Fish
Nov 11, 2020
There should be a proper routine to be followed when it comes to caring for paddlefish. A routine of feeding and cleaning should be adhered to make the fishes healthier and cleaner. It is the best practice to keep the fishes healthy for a long time. You can refer to the paddlefish guide to make your fishing and caring more appropriate.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Glad this thread was brought back up. Would love to have one someday. Great info. OP had me cracking up. Or they will die...:ROFL:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Glad this thread was brought back up. Would love to have one someday. Great info. OP had me cracking up. Or they will die...:ROFL:
Good ol Viper,I miss his brand of humor around here....hope he finds his way back!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store