The care guide to sturgeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Sturgeon need a deep large stable pond. They need plenty of oxygen and good food they can get to. Also they tend to get stuck in folds of liners. False economy buying small ones as they can be starved and hard to save.
I personally vouch for the quality of fish that Osage Catfisheries supplies... so long as the fish are coming directly from the farm.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
White sturgeon: a large blunt nosed (as adults) fish with a almost solid uniform grey color, except for the undersides which are generally pale white to cream.
This slow growing species primarily inhabits the west coast of the u.s, Canada, and even into Mexico, it primarily in habits rivers while in freshwater, though it also occurs in lakes, and even has landlocked populations in places like Lake Shasta.
It prefers to live in waters that are cool and free of silt deposits, it also ventures into oceans as it is very tolerant of saltwater.
It can exceed 14 ft in length.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Diamond sturgeon: similar in size and shape to white sturgeon, the diamond has a light grey to almost black base color, while their plates range from white, cream or very light grey, making the contrasting colors and markings that they were named for, this fish also spends time in both fresh and salt water.
They are found primarily in mainland Europe and parts of Asia, and are a commercially important fish for caviar farms

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Shovelnose sturgeon:
A usually tan-ish coloured fish with a flat "shovelnose head" the shovelnose sturgeon can be distinguished from the pallid sturgeon (endangered!) by the scales on its belly.
Shovelnose sturgeon seem to prefer sandy bottoms in rivers, strongest populations are in and around the Missouri River and its tributaries , most are 15-20 inches as adults , but ocassionally reach 36 inches, this fish primarily eats sessile insect larvae and tolerates higher temps than most other sturgeon

Reactions: Moontanman

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Sterlet:
A smaller sturgeon which can be differentiated from other European sturgeon by its flanged barbels, and when viewed from the top has a much more pointed head profile.
Color varies from grey to tan, with usually lighter colored scutes and usually a thinner body profile than most other sturgeons.
They live short lives (as far as sturgeon go) in the wild they only seem to live into their 20s for the most part.
This species is primarily found in rivers and tributaries that drain into the caspian and Black Sea, as well as a number of Siberian rivers.
There are areas outside of their native range where they have been stocked, but these are reportedly not self sustaining.

There used to be anandromous populations that migrated from fresh to salt, but these were apparently extirpated.

Ed123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2016
Trabuco canyon
I spoke to Osage a little while ago, and they told me that it'd be illegal to ship Shovelnose to California, but I cant find and am not aware of any legislation that states so. Is this true?
It is most likely due to zebra mussels and how the state of California is handling it. Nothing that I’m aware of conserving the species itself

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It is most likely due to zebra mussels and how the state of California is handling it. Nothing that I’m aware of conserving the species itself
When I hear "California" and "handle it" in the same sentence I cringe

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store